No milk but want to ebf!

BABTTC123

Trying to figure out this parenting thing...
Reaction score
So this is actually for a friend.
She just gave birth to her second beautiful baby girl yesterday and really wants to ebf though she says that she is completely dry and not even producing colostrum. She suffers from PCOS and since I have it I had already done some research and found that some PCOS ladies have issues with producing milk. My friend has been pumping and supplimenting her l/o with formula for now but is really bummed about not being able to ebf and the lactation nurse can't get to her until Monday but they plan on leaving the hospital on Sunday...
So any advice for her??

The key is for her to keep having baby latch.her milk won't come in for another couple of days. Probably just in time to see the lc. Milk usually takes 3-4 days to come in. Breastfeeding helps encourage this.

If baby is happy to stay latched, I would stop the formula, put her to the breast anytime she gets fussy. I would only supplement if baby doesn't produce the right amount of diapers over the next few days or have other medical reasons.

That is just what some of her friends have been saying :) I hope things work out for her! I know when I finally have my own I would want to be able to ebf.

As the other ladies have said - keep baby at the breast. :thumbup:

Lots of skin to skin; so mum topless and baby in just a nappy. Keep offering the breast - make sure the latch is correct (it never hurts to get this checked and double checked).

It is normal to not get any milk in for the first 3 - 5 days or so. Not all ladies leak so tell her to not be worried if she can't see any leaking. This is no indication of supply. At this very early stage baby needs very little to fill them up, however they will want to be at the breast a lot - this is to help the milk come in.

Unless baby is clearly distressed (there is a difference between distressed and fussing) I would stop the formula - just keep baby at the breast; even a pump can't remove milk as efficiently as baby can.

It'll seem an age away but Monday will be here before you know it and hopefully the LC will be able to help. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->