No running???

Hippiemomlife

Reaction score
So I'm 6 weeks and 2 days today, and I asked my doctor about what activities and exercises I can do to stay in shape (I am pretty active and normally play on a women's soccer team). My doctor said I obviously can't play soccer now, but she said I also shouldn't run?? I know tons of people who run, even in their 3rd trimester, so I don't get why it would be a problem? Does anyone have experience or advice?

I run. In fact I had stopped at 6 weeks after some bleeding and when I saw my midwife at 9 weeks she recommended I start running again as I'd done it before pregnancy, she said it was a great way to prepare for labour!

Your doctor is talking utter rubbish. I say that as a qualified personal trainer.

For women in low-risk pregnancies (which I presume you are - no multiples or medical conditions like diabetes etc), it is perfectly safe to continue with the exercise you were doing before pregnancy. Contact sports (like soccer) or sports which risk falls (like skiing or horse riding) should be avoided for obvious reasons, and new intense exercise regimens should not be started. But a continuation of what you were doing when you fell pregnant is generally perfectly safe.

You need to be concerned not to get too hot and to stay hydrated. The old 'rules' about keeping your heartrate under 140 bpm are no longer relevant: the important thing is to always be able to hold a conversation (i.e. moderate levels of exercise rather than crazy hard stuff).

Exercising in a low-risk pregnancy is wonderful. It helps grow a healthy placenta, prevents excess weight gain, keeps you strong and supple (so reduces the normal pregnancy aches and pains) and has been shown to reduce labor times and the amount of interventions needed. It is also obviously great mentally.

I'd advise you to listen to your body rather than religiously following a work-out schedule (if you used to do this). Some days you'll have more energy than others and that's great. But other days you may be very low energy and you need to go with that too.

Also be careful of over-stretching. You have more relaxin when you're pregnant (the hormone which loosens you up to facilitate delivery) and that can theoretically increase your risk of hurting a muscle.

Finally - don't lie on your back from second tri onwards. You can compress a blood vessel and reduce oxygen supply. Prop yourself up on a few pillows instead if you want to do ab work.

HTH.

I second everything britgirl said from my training as a student midwife :thumbup: Perhaps get a second opinion from another doctor or midwife, just to make you feel safe, there MAY have been a reason why they said no running that we don't know because we don't know your medical history but I can't think what if you are low risk and well. XX

Thank you for the advice everyone! I have no medical concerns and so far everything is on the right track, I just found it strange that she said "no running" and now my boyfriend is adamant that I listen to her... I will probably be getting a second opinion! Just irritating that I feel like I have something else to worry about, as if I'm not stressed enough! Thanks guys!

My midwife told me that if you were running before you got pregnant, you can continue as long as your pregnancy is low risk. Did your doctor give you a specific reason why you shouldn't run?

I would get a second opinion.

My good friend played soccer well into her third trimester. I thought as long as you were doing it before pregnancy and your body was used to it, its safe to continue during pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->