No shaving after 36 weeks? Really?!

I wasn't told this, but yes, there was a study/studies that found an association between shaving the pubic area right around birth and increased risk of infection. It used to be something that was done as standard practice ahead of a hospital vaginal birth (like up until the 80s) because it was believed it was more hygienic. Actually, once someone thought to study it, they found that in some cases, it significantly increased the risk of postnatal infections - pubic hair is designed to wick away moisture, and moisture encourages bacterial growth, not to mention having cuts if you nick yourself, and that seems to increase the chance of infection. So yes, ideally you shouldn't shave prior to going into labour, but I'm not sure how far in advance that really means if it's something you usually do regularly. In the cases studied, it was in the day or couple days before birth, like when women showed up at the hospital. I'm not sure what that means though if it's something you do a week before, etc.

I actually just asked my OB that question today mostly because I want to get a Brazilian before my c-section. She said there is no need to stop shaving or not get a wax but I am having a c-section so the rationale is that I'll get pretty strong IV antibiotics and so the odds of infection are almost non-existent.

That's actually why we do grow hair down there. It helps provent infection but in the 1o or more years I have shaved I have never had an infection. Shave away!

I'd rather not welcome a child into the world with an enhanced risk of rug burn ;)

That being said, even though I'm having another C, I'm shaving and keeping it tidy down there.

I have not heard this and I'm 38+4 weeks and still shaving well butchering myself down there lol

That sounds silly to me,never heard of it before. With DS I shaved at 39+7 two days before giving birth, and thank goodness too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->