No support from mum

flower01

Expecting Baby 3!!
Reaction score
Bit of a rant really.

I had my 3rd baby 3 weeks ago and really wanted to bf.
We have had issue after issue with it all but I haven't given up and am trying everything.

My mother keeps telling me to 'put her on the bottle' and then ignores me when I explain I want to bf her!

Last night I spoke to her and she asked if baby was on the bottle and I said well I'm expressing at the mo until we sort out her suckling problems and all I got was a big sigh!

I don't understand why she isn't being supportive at all?!

It's quite strange.

Some people just don't understand! Maybe you could get her a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to educate her!

My MIL was like this. She never even attempted to breastfeed so I don't think she really ever understood why it would be a big deal to me. I think her heart was in the right place but it just upset me even more. After a while she let it go.

That is very sad and annoying.

My mum wasn't dismissive or supportive so it was weird. She did breastfeed me until I was about 4 months but went all awkward when I asked her a few questions when Thomas was a newborn.

My MIL is old enough to be my mums mum...she was more supportive even though breastfeeding wasn't trendy when she had her elsdest boys.

My mum wasn't unsupportive but she was a little hasty to suggest giving DD a bottle when we were struggling in the first few days. I guess I can understand why she did it, I was sobbing with pain, bleeding nipples and I was absolutely exhausted. My mum was staying with us for the first two weeks and I guess from her point of view, she was just worried about me and was trying to help. She never BF me or any of my siblings so she couldn't really offer advice or relate to what I was going through.

So many women today are very determined to BF because we know how important it is for LO and luckily there is plenty of advice and support available to get you through those first few weeks. I don't think our parents were fortunate enough to have the resources we do so they just see an obstacle in the way and look for the quickest or easiest solution eg formula!

X

My mum is a bit like this. I struggled feeding DD1 as it hurt so much and got very upset every time she was due a feed I didn't want her near me (maybe start of postpartum depression?). I also had a awful birth experience which probably contributed. I did give up and put her on the bottle after 6 weeks.

With DD2 (due any day) I plan to try again, my OH has been very supportive but many others seem to constantly remind me about last time and how it will be hard with two etc....I am determined to at least try. I've done more research this time, found a few local groups I can go too so I just ignore what others say. I think they are trying to help me by saying don't put pressure on myself but I do wish they'd be a little more supportive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->