no understanding, 2yr 8m.

Tor

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
hi all :flower:

My son is now 2 yrs 8m he is having his 6 week assessment and geneticist app in the new year but im pretty sure as is everyone else that he is autistic.

The thing is he just doesn't understand what I say to him at all, cant follow any instructions fetch shoes etc still doesn't respond to his name or anything like that, will he definitely eventually get there or could this be a permanent thing that he just wont ever understand us?

He is much better if you show him how to do something but its like as soon as you start talking to him he just has no clue :nope:

Has anyone elses child still not understood a thing at this age?

What I got told when I went on a course was that he does understand the keywords but the other words he doesn't get. So if you want him to get his shoes, instead of going 'get your shoes' you should just say 'shoes' and take him for a couple of times, then he'll go naturally on his own. It should take roughly about 10 attempts of you doing this. Some learn quicker and some take longer.

He's probably hearing his name, but autistic children tend to be engrossed in what they are doing. My son is no is the same. You can call him 5-6 times until he turns to look at you when you ask him a question. However, he does hear it so if I ask him 'Ossian, what did you do at school today' he will then answer me with something he remembers doing, if he's looks like he's listening or not. When he was younger, we're pretty sure he was listening as he would do it sometimes. He's pretty cheeky so if what we were going to do sounded like more fun he'd go and do it, if it didn't he'd carry on and do what was more fun for him.

Hope that helps a little.

That sounds quite familiar at that age and yes, my son has autism. If you feel there is something wrong then there probably is. Have you had the auditory tests??

I do try to keep it simple and I say coat, shoes etc and get them with him and put them on for him every time we leave the house so at least 3 times a day normally and he still wont do it. When I say he is much better at doing things if you show him, I mean like chunky wooden shape boards and things he cant put his coat on or any of that and wont feed himself dinner and he cant drink from a cup.

Aliss- He's had hearing and sight tests and apart from retinal colobomas which they said aren't affecting his vision he is absolutely fine, hes had an mri which showed no brain damage or obvious cause. He just has the diagnosis of global development delay at the moment he has been waiting for his assessment for a year by the time he starts it and I think he has to be referred somewhere else after that before he gets a diagnosis its such a long waiting list for everything.

What age did both your children start understanding what you said to them? Do ALL autistic children learn eventually or is there a chance he never will? :(

DS is now 6 and doesn't understand as much as a normal 6 year old. A current example is he's going to daddies for Christmas. He understands Daddy and what Christmas is just about, (1st year he's been into it) but he doesn't get the time scale and keeps thinking its in a week. Anything past a week doesn't exists. A year ago roughly anything past tomorrow didn't exists so its an improvement.

As for simple instructions it depends what it was. We had a chart of instructions for everything, and I mean everything. From getting up with breakfast/bath/teeth etc and for going out so that was shoes/coats/car etc, They where pictures on velcro so he could take them off once he completed the task and posted them as he loves posting things. I will admit it very time consuming but helped no end. One day I told him we're going out and he just started trying by himself. I think he was just over 3. He still can't get his coat and shoes on, but has a good, but he has managed t-shirts and jumpers on/off by himself. He is also working on leg holes in pants and trousers, but he can pull them up.

As for feeding himself, he can do it, but choose not to if that makes sense. We will sit at the table with tv and computers off, but still likes mummy to help. However, when at school or a restaurant he will fed himself with only the usual pea/beans issue with the spoon he needs help loading. I'm at a loss about how to fix this as I want to eat too :( I tried leaving him to fed himself but he'll do two mouthfuls then claim he's full even when he's not. I've even left the table leaving him to eat for himself but even if he sits for an hour he'll eat nothing. They say children won't eat if not hungry, but autistic children are different they have been know to starve if not fed the usual foods. Thankfully my son isn't a fussy eater. Drinking wise he likes bottles with the children's lids or sports bottles. He can drink from cups from about 3, but bottles are easier for him so we keep a stock of bottles and just reuse them until they get disgusting (they are washed in between of course) but he chews them and there can be a lot of back wash and I end up wondering how he gets xyz in the bottle, so do go.

I'm guessing toilet training is far away? DS has been dry for just over a year now, so when he was 5. His paediatrician was fine with that and said he's seen boys just learn over night and was quite common to still be in nappies until 7.

All autistic children, like normal children learn at a different pace. So instead of overloading him with every routine or thing you want him to learn focus on a couple which are important to you, then once he's comfortable, with them add another one and so on. He doesn't have to have learnt it, but got the rough idea and is ok with you doing it with him. He'll be learn other things as well as these basic skills through play, speech language if he has that and other things you may do. Another thing which worked for my son was to make a song about what he needed to do. So for example we just replace the words to mulberry busy song to This is the way he brush our teeth/get our shoes etc. He responds really well to music though and has recently started piano lessons. He's far from a musical prodigy but for the time he enjoys I'm going to let him have fun.

It sounds like such a long process until they get there :( I guess there are no quick fixes and he will just do things in his own tim, I just really struggle not knowing what will happen/wont happen and when and they are all so different I don't think anyone will ever be abe to tell me for sure.

My LO sounds like yours with food he is physically capable of feeding himself as he will feed breakfast sometimes and yoghurts but dinner is always a bttle to get him to eat and he refuses to feed himself and takes me half an hour to get one spoon in then he will wolf it down, my HV said ages ago thy wont starve themselves but he really would if I didn't feed him dinner he wold just never eat it and he is a skinny boy anyway, drinks he has out of a sippy cup but he has barely drunk a thing since dropping bottles at 14 months normally only quarter of a sippy or half a day and that's it but it must be enough as hes never been dehydrated. He wont eat a meal at all in restaurants though as he is distracted by the lights etc.

Toilet training is ridiculously far away, I don't really want to attempt it until we can communicate in some way as I don't want to make it a bad experience for him but im not too worried about that but I would like him potty trained by 4 but who knows the rate its going probably not.

Thanks for the song idea I think he will love it, he loves songs and books so much and actually hums tunes and picks them up really easily, he gets soooo excited when u sing and arm flaps and tip toes up and down almost falling over lol.

As a special needs teacher, YES! They CAN learn! Communication is usually the biggest barrier for children with autism. Have you tried any sort of ABA therapy? I know a lot of ladies on here are from the UK and things are different there...ABA (applied behavior analysis) is a really great form of therapy to increase communication. For example, if we were working on looking when your name is called it would go like this:

Sit face to face with child with high value reward (food preferably such as jelly beans cut in half)
Say his name "Adam"
If correct response (he looks at you) then praise verbally and give reward.
If incorrect response (doesn't look at you) use scripted response (always say the same thing) 'when mommy calls my name I look at her' and physically lift chin/turn head whatever it takes to make eye contact/correct gaze location then verbally praise. (But no reward) then do it again. Say his name and correct or reward appropriately. I would say depending on age do as many as you think is appropriate. For a 2 year old I would say maybe 4-5 times. Older children need more. I would spend time daily doing this. You can do the same with vocab like naming objects, colors ect. :) hope that was a little bit helpful! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions :)

My son was exactly the same!
Spent a fortune on aba therapy which luckily worked for us!
Started with pec cards etc, such a long rough journey!
However what i thought was impossible has happened! He is attending mainstream education without an aid :)
And he never shuts up!
Is your son verbal? Mine only had 50 words when we started intensive therapy!

My son was exactly the same!
Spent a fortune on aba therapy which luckily worked for us!
Started with pec cards etc, such a long rough journey!
However what i thought was impossible has happened! He is attending mainstream education without an aid :)
And he never shuts up!
Is your son verbal? Mine only had 50 words when we started intensive therapy!

I'm so happy to hear that. How old was he? We are on a 2 year waiting list and he's already 3.5 :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->