no vbac after 2 prev emcs?

jenthough178

David - 29 DF
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been told I'm likely to be encouraged to opt for elective cesarean this time around, 8+6 atm, and I wondered if anyone had had experience of vbac after two previous sections?

My first section was March 2011, I was induced at 41+3, induction was going well, hardly needed any drugs to get going, but when my waters were broken at 4/5 cm there was so much meconium and his heart rate was dropping so I was rushed to theatre and put under a GA (as I'd had no pain relief beside gas and air).
2nd one was February 2013, I went in and had my waters broken on my due date, they broke my waters and gave me 12 hours to get into labour, wouldn't give me any drugs due to the previous section, and ended up being taken to theatre after 13 hours, and given a spinal for the cesarean.

I wanted a natural birth so badly both times, but obviously it didn't happen. I'm being told atm that this time unless I go into labour at 37 weeks or something then chances of giving birth naturally are very slim and provisions would be made for another c-section around my due date.

Any one else had any experience similar? Feeling a bit deflated. I read that the chances of a natural delivery were still around 70 odd % so to be told by the consultant that the chances are very small was a bit of a bummer. X

The care you can get is gonna depend completely on which country your in. I'm gonna assume your in the UK based on the fact you used the word "Consultant" rather than "OB".

Looking at your previous birth's it looks like the c-section happened as a baby-side emergency with your first and because you weren't ready for labour with your second. So I reckon if you did go into spontaneous labour you'd probably have a really good shot at a VBAC.

The "problem" with a VBA2C is that each previous c-section increases the likelihood of rupture. I'm not sure in the exact figure.

But its up to you if you have a c-section. If your choose to have a VBA2C then that's your choice. You could also choose to have a VBAC up to 42 weeks and have a repeated c-section at 42 weeks. Or you could choose to be monitored after 42 weeks. You could even completely decline seeing a consultant and the midwives would still have a duty of care to look after you in labour.

There's a great UK VBAC support group on facebook which should be able to offer some help. https://www.facebook.com/groups/149800885093152/

No. This will be my third csection in just under 3 years. My first was an emergency, my second an elective. I've been told straight that there is probably no chance they will let me even try a vaginal birth, so another c section for me :cry: xx

I had an elective c-section with my first birth, and I plan to have another with this baby, which will also be our last child.

The likelihood of having a VBAC2 is quite low...it's quite risky, in a lot of ways, and if you at least want to TRY for a vaginal delivery, I encourage you to not try to do it as a home birth or anything of that nature. Please attempt it in a hospital, as the risks are real, and the most important outcome of any birth is a healthy mother and baby.

I'm not gonna go that crazy over it, if I need a repeat section then I will have one, course I will, but I just wondered what the chances were of being able to try. I might try suggesting being left to my own devices until like 41 weeks and have a cesarean booked for just over that if my body doesn't go into labour by itself. I really would like to be given the chance to try, but I don't think they'll want me to go too far over in case baby gets too big for a straight forward first vaginal birth. X

And I would definitely go into hospital anyway, due to the emergency with my first. From the time they pushed that emergency button, to the time he was born was under 20 minutes. I wouldn't wanna risk anything, especially considering added risk factors of previous sections, so whatever happens, I'll be in hospital. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->