no weight gain?

shannonleigh

Reaction score
I haven't had morning sickness to the point of throwing up, only felt sick but I haven't gained weight. I'm 8 weeks today am I supposed to by now? I gained more weight when I wasn't pregnant..

No, you're just fine! Baby is sooo tiny they don't need any extra. You are much better off not gaining wait till your second trimester. Around 11 weeks you may start to gain around 1 lb a week (if you are in your average bmi area) I remember feeling like that when I was pregnant with my first and even though I walked every day I let that 'I need go gain' mentality take over and gained about 60 pounds. It was so uncomfortable at the end. I've gained 2 lbs so far, but I would attribute that to the 5 lbs of Christmas candy sitting around my house! I am trying really hard to not let that mentality take sway. I am shooting for only gaining 15 lbs this time. You can look up how much weight you should gain, there are tons of apps and sites.

I agree with the pp, it's a terrible thing to think you have to gain weight, many don't gain a thing (or lose) in their first tri. If you're over the average BMI you hopefully gain less, if you're within you hopefully gain the average amount 25-30 lbs. I hope to gain only in the second / third tri's but I've been eating too much fruit cake this past week and due to being conservative and a bleed on Friday not exercising to much now either. I've signed up for yoga, cardio and some other classes over my noon hours to try to get back in shape a little because delivery is much easier when you don't 'completely' let yourself go.

Nope, not really supposed to gain in 1st tri! You're doing just fine! I was fairly big when I conceived dd and was 28lb lighter after I had her than I was when I got pg!

I think I have gained weight already, but only because of the insane amounts I have eaten over Xmas!!! I think I remember this from last time, I ate for about 3 weeks then vomited and barely ate for 3 months! I hardly gained at all the entire pregnancy, but I did start out bigger than I should have :)

Thank you ladies that's a relief! I saw on some pregnancy app that you should be gaining if not talk to your health care provider, I started panicking because I haven't gained at all, I find every little thing to worry about lol.

I was 9 stone 1 at this stage with DD. Was 8.5 stone at my midwife appointment at 9 wks but i'm now closer to 8 stone. Its mad, i havent had sickness but lost weight. To be fair i lost weight at the end of first tri with DD and she still ended up 7lb 13oz xx

I'm hoping the lack of wine and crumby foods helps me lose a few. After sitting throughout dinners over the last week watching everyone else down copious volumes of wine, beer and whiskey while I suck back water, water, tea and more water... Something's got to give!! Lol:haha:

the beauty of this is it depends on you as a woman :) I didn't actually start gaining weight till I was 30 weeks and only gained 11lbs in total throughout the whole pregnancy, Esmee was 6lb 13 of that 11lb so I didn't gain much, this time I haven't gained anything yet if anything I have lost it, but my friend who is 12 weeks has gained 5lbs already.. I think it is each womens body just gains differently:) xx

I didnt gain any weight until 23weeks. When i got home from having her i was 12lbs heavier and 4 days later i was pre preg weight?? Some pregnancies are just like that. My first i was 20lbs heavier when i got home from having her and i never lost in for 2 years lol cheese and savories were my weakness in that pregnancy but all i wanted with my last pregnancy was chewing gum. xxxx

I saw a nutritionist at 6 weeks and she wanted to see me back in two months to make sure I was gaining weight. I'm like what? That's silly. I made the mistake of telling DH that and now he's all over me about gaining weight. :dohh:

All a pregnant woman needs is 300 extra calories/day in healthy foods and a nutritionist should know this. 300 calories won't contribute to excessive weight gain. Are you under the healthy BMI index? Is there a reason your OH and this nutritionist are jumping to extremist views?

I didn't gain anything until after 20 weeks with my twins and that was mainly only because my MFM insisted I try and had me rest more and add a snack at that point. Most of it was at the very end though. They were both perfectly healthy.

All a pregnant woman needs is 300 extra calories/day in healthy foods and a nutritionist should know this. 300 calories won't contribute to excessive weight gain. Are you under the healthy BMI index? Is there a reason your OH and this nutritionist are jumping to extremist views?
You don't need ANY extra until 2bd tri.

I'm actually a little overweight and should only gain 15-25 pounds throughout this pregnancy. I don't know what HER issue is, but I think DHs issue is he associates eating and weight gain with a healthy baby. I keep telling him I only need a few hundred more calories a day, but it goes in one ear and out the other.

My husband feels the same way eris! It's hard dealing with that. Mine will actually say I'm going to hurt bun (the baby) if I don't start gaining weight! :mad: I just have to let it roll. Seeing my belly start to grow convinces him all is okay at least.

I'm actually a little overweight and should only gain 15-25 pounds throughout this pregnancy. I don't know what HER issue is, but I think DHs issue is he associates eating and weight gain with a healthy baby. I keep telling him I only need a few hundred more calories a day, but it goes in one ear and out the other.

Lol, we all have our own views. At least your oh is concerned for you and you're wise to see a nutritionist. I don't want to gain a pound until I absolutely need to sometime in second tri. You just need to make sure your getting folates and clean protein. Green leafy & loads of veg, it prevents constipation and frequent small portions of protein controls hunger pangs. I've heard of loads of girls even losing weight during first tri because they drop the empty calories of wine & alcohol and clean up their diets. But do what's right for you. I've got 3x noon hour fitness classes on top of my usual gym workouts between Jan - Mar this year too. Hoping to stay fit for delivery!

I've never gained more than a lb or two until 3rd tri, so I certainly wouldn't worry about not gaining weight in the first tri! In fact we have our weigh in at 12 weeks here which is recorded as a pre pregnancy weight.

I actually lost weight while I was pregnant with DD as I lost my appetite for almost the entire pregnancy, I only really gained it back in third tri and that was only baby, placenta etc!

If you're pregnant and nursing a toddler too, you gotta eat more. I am significantly more hungry then I was with my first pregnancy and find it difficult to eat enough to keep myself satiated when I'm nauseous too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->