Normal delivery after 3A tear?

vmcsherry

preggo mama of 1
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

When I had my daughter last year I suffered a 3A tear and some women I told about it say that I wouldn't have a hope of having a natural delivery next time that a doctor would make me have a C section.

I'm not pregnant yet just wanted to hear from women who went on to have natural/normal/not horrific deliveries after a 3A tear to put my husbands mind to rest lol

Many thanks! :winkwink:

I had a 3c tear (4th degree according to one doctor- but really it doesn't matter- safe to say my butt was torn to shread :rofl:) with my 1st. 6 months pp I had a colorectal scan to check the scar tissue and tests to check internal sphincter function, all of which showed good recovery and made me confident in going for a vaginal delivery with my 2nd. At first when pregnant again I was encouraged to opt for a c-section but when I said I wanted to go for vaginal I was told fine, it would probably be better for me anyway and the chance of tearing badly the 2nd time is a lot lower. I had a waterbirth, only pushed for 14 minutes and got tiny 1st and 2nd degree tears which I didn't even have stitched :)

Thank you so much for your reply Eleanor ace :) Your butt was torn to shreds! ahahhaa! I thought mine was, doctor didnt explain it very well.

After we had our DD the doctor told us that we would have a good chance of having a vaginal delivery with our next baby but to be honest I felt he was just trying to make me feel better after the horrible delivery.

Our DD was only 7lbs 7oz and Im 5'8" so she wasnt a big baby for me. I had an episotomy as well but still tore. Forceps were used and her body followed rapidly after. At least thats what was written in my notes, I dont remember it being rapid but I was on every pain med going so I was a little out of it.

I would love to have a water birth next time! That would be the most amazing experience. You definitely gave me hope!

Ive had third degree tears with my first baby... Had to be stitched up... But i had two more vaginal deliveries after that...

I had a 3a with my first but it was actually no drama whatsoever. I didn't feel it and didn't have any pain afterwards.

My midwife and doctor pretty much assumed I would have a normal delivery second time round. I actually got a 3a tear again, but also no drama... Within three months it was completely healed. I'm done now but if I were having a third, I'd go natural again.

So glad you ladies went on to have vaginal births after a 3a tear, makes me feel so much better. When we do have our second I really dont want to have a c-section.

Now I just need to convince my husband that the birth of our next baby wont be as bad as the last one!

I had a 3a with my first too. No one even suggested a section for my second, thankfully. I got a fab home-from-home birth, though with a 3b tear (he was fast and much bigger than ds1).

I had a 3b tear with dd, when I went for my follow up appointment at the hospital they said the chance of it happening next time was about 5% higher but still relatively low. I have the option of a section but they recommend a vaginal delivery still.

It's normal for tears to happen when it's your first... You might not tear with the second.. It's always possible, but more common with the first.

Thanks for replying ladies.

Makes me feel so much better knowing there are women that have had the same sort of tear as me and went on to have more babies vaginally!

I had a third degree with my first, she was also my biggest and got stuck. I had a small tear with my second, he was a little smaller and born four weeks before our first.

Our other three were micro preemies, no tears.

All vaginal births

If I have a small tear with our next I wouldnt mind, its the tears that leave yoy scared of going to the bathroom that I would like to avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->