Normal to go from food lover to food snob?

Mollykins

Reaction score
Both my DD's seem to be going through the same phase right now. They are 3.5 and 5 years old. The used to eat anything you put in front of them! Only about 10% of the time did they truly not like what I put down for a meal and that's okay, at least they tried it. The problem now is that, starting about 2 weeks ago, they both decided they don't like about half of what they normally LOVE. For example, they no longer like eggs, german pancakes, any type of red sauce... etc. So when my OH and I are setting ourselves down with german pancakes let's say, they speak up, "Can I have some of that? I LOOOVEEE german pancakes." Then, if I make them their own... they take two bites and say, "I don't like this." :dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh: My OH and I are going :wacko:!! I think I have it a bit worse than my OH since he works out of town so often. Regardless... do any of you lovely ladies have advice? Or is this even a normal phase that they will out grow and I will eventually have my little foodies back?? :haha:

Thanks in advance!

Molly

My 3 yr old and 19month old r like this atm.. they normally love their food and will eat anything.. lately they've been skipping meals.. i mean like not eating them. i always put a meal on the table for them. but they won't even attemp it half the time.. maybe just a phase? i hope so as they're both usually good eaters. it kind of worried me to start with but what can i do? i cant force feed them and i figure if they was hungry they'd eat.. they'll snack on yogurt(occasionaly) and fruit so :shrug:

They're also girls.. :)

My OH is telling me the same... "When they are hungry, they will eat." He is also insisting that I stop making them something special for meals; something other than I've already made for everyone. I think I will stick to that. I really don't want to reinforce this picky eating phase. Glad I'm not the only parent experiencing this! Thank you for responding! :hugs:

In the exact same boat, except just with my 3 year old. It is so,so,so frustrating, sometimes I just want to scream! :hugs:

Had the same issue with my DH when she was about 5. We both agreed with my DH that cooking different meals for her is bad idea, and we discontinued doing so. It was really terrible to see hear her telling us she is hungry, but she lasted about few hours and decided to eat. Of course she was all like "oh, i hate that" but was eating anyway. In time she got used to it. Of course i'm usually asking what does she want for dinner, but she's not the deciding anymore.

I know what you mean Dormiles. My oldest DD has decided that she now DETESTS spaghetti... I told her that's what is for dinner and though she can choose to not eat it, that's all I'm making. I caught her a few times eating it up just fine... then randomly it would be... "Mommy, I REALLY don't like this." :haha: Tricky children.

Carmello- I was feeling pretty frustrated to be sure. I think more frustrating to me was the fact that they decided that they didn't like the foods they normally do. :wacko:

we have a rule in house that goes like this.
If you dont like something then thats fine, but beofer you can say you dont like it you need to have 5 big (huge) mouthfulls and then if you still dont like it you dont have to eat it.
It may sound funny but it works, by the time they finish the 5 big mouthfulls they have finished what they didn't want to eat and are fine with that cause you have given them the choice to not have it. My 10 year old now has one of the most advanced palates i've even known a 10 year old to have. he has tried oysters about 4 times and is still undersided on them. he does eat bree, prosuto and thing liek that all the time. Not sure if this will help but it works in our family as my four year old is now loving bree and prosuto but hasn't got around to more advanced things like oyster yet, the 2yo is comign along nicely too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->