Not a great midwife appointment today...

Hoping4Four

Reaction score
I'm 38+3 and saw the midwife this morning. Everything was fine until she measured my fundal height. It's at 35cm, which is just under the 10th percentile on my personalised growth chart. She's sending me to a consultant and I'll see them on Friday.. So basically I've got to prepare for a fight for my home birth.

I'm 6ft tall so my bumps never measure big, and my baby is now fully engaged.. The midwife couldn't feel any of his/her head. So surely that's going to affect the fundal measurement?

I'm just sick of being told there's something wrong with having small babies. Mine have all been small but healthy, and yet I'm treated like an irresponsible mother by doctors for wanting a home birth.

I've been having so many strong/painful BH lately and I've been losing bloody mucus for nearly 3 days now. I've had enough and I just want my baby, without having to fight with anyone about it :(

I'm sorry your having to deal with this :hugs:

I just read your signature, and yip you sure do have little baby's but if they are healthy I don't understand the concern? I really hope you get your home birth. Surely with you having little babies in the past they would know this?

I guess it's just a precaution they have to take.

:hugs:

Maybe baby will make an appearance before Friday? I feel your frustration I'm facing induction for the second time on Monday due to a small baby. My first was 6lb 3 at 38+5 weeks. This baby is currently on the 10th centile and depending on the results of our scan on monday they'll induce. I'm also crampy and having BH so hoping baby makes an appearance before then to avoid induction. It seems unlikely for me as only 37 weeks :/

At my 38wk appt I also measured 35wks but baby was fully engaged. I came back the following week to be rechecked and baby had popped back up and out of being engaged and measured 38wks, which they were happy with. I hadn't noticeably grown or gained weight so it had to be baby's position. Additionally I'm 5ft3 with a short torso, so shouldn't measure small. The day I delivered the mws measured me again as I looked small, just in case he needed assistance. I was measuring 37wks at 40+5 and he was born weighing 7lb7oz. A good size, but not especially big for going over!

Yes my midwife advised me last appointment that when the head starts to engage you measure less. They said if its more than 3 cm they normally scan as a precaution. X

If you aren't worried then I'd just let your midwife get on with it. You know what it's like these days with lawsuits and people suing medical professionals. She's probably just trying to cover her own back by going off standards and averages and what to do if a patient is below them.
Will be a shame though if you can't have baby at home, that would suck :-( fingers crossed you get the birth you want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->