Not in the slightest pregnancy related, don't suppose anyone is a vet?!

Zfbaby

Reaction score
Ok so as the post said this isn't baby related but in fact cat related. Anyone on the forum a vet? Just have a couple of questions before my vets appt tomorrow as it seems forever away and I'm stressing myself out. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a vet, but was a vet tech for a few years. Depending on your questions, I might be able to help, or might not. Good luck at your appointment!

I have a female cat that I think may have a uti. Dh and I found her peein blood late last night in my washing basket. I've since realise that it may have been going on
Since Saturday. I phoned the emergency service this morning as its a bank hol. The lady on the phone didn't seem to think its an emergency and has booked us in for 4pm tomorrow but I've been online and there's lots of sites saying it can be fatal within 48hrs. Now I'm
Really panicked. Is that true and how common is it, could I lose my furry baby? :(

My furry had one recently... It's the blockage that is a worry. Keep fluids up and as long as she is still peeing she should be right till tomorrow. Good luck and fingers crossed!

Did your furry baby have lots of blood? It's seems like there is quite a bit with mine. She's had something to eat today and has played with her toys but is sleeping quite a bit.
We lost her sister last year and we've not really gotten over it. I'm also worried that my stress levels will upset lo.

I was a vet student before I changed my career route last year. ..my advice would be not to worry too much about not getting an appointment until tomorrow. ..as long as she's still urinating, one day of waiting is going to be ok x

Heaps of it. But after some meds for 10 days or so he was fine :) when cats don't eat or drink for a long period I worry but her playing is a good sign. Just watch her and if she starts to look bad, even just a little call the vet. Do you have an after hours number? Vets are used to us worry wart owners. Try to stay calm, LO will be fine, cats pick up on our stress so as hard as it is try and keep calm. You and your furry one are in my thoughts.

I have 3 cats BTW so I can understand how you feel... I love them like they are my children.

I was a vet student before I changed my career route last year. ..my advice would be not to worry too much about not getting an appointment until tomorrow. ..as long as she's still urinating, one day of waiting is going to be ok x

Thank you for your reply. Are you aware of anything I can do to help her in the mean time? I obviously can't force her to drink water which would seem like the best short term remedy.

Wet food mixed with some extra water is a great way to get extra fluids into a kitty with a uti. My vet always suggested adding a touch of apple cider vinegar to help raise the ph in the cats urine to help disolve any crystals that might be in there as well.

Dh has gone to pick some up for her. She doesn't eat wet food normally and I think this has lead to the problem.

They really are like your children aren't they.

Oh yes! I'm very lucky that my little man is a water fiend and will drink all day long and play in the water all day long. I think it's why we've gotten so lucky, Our last little guy who I had to part with after exDH and I separated he would barely drink if his life depended on it. The other thing about UTI's and Kidney stones in cats is you can sometimes avoid them by avoiding a diet that has ash in it. So check your bag of food!

Cystitis is the most likely cause and is very common in cats; unlike in people, in which it is often caused by a bacterial infection, in cats it is usually a sterile inflammatory process, and nobody is 100% sure of why it occurs- it can be stress related, but not always. However, the incidence of bacterial infection does increase with age. There can appear to be quite an alarming amount of blood, but provided she is well in herself and passing urine well, I think she should be fine until tomorrow. However, it is really quite uncomfortable and she will feel much better after some anti-inflammatory medication, so it might be worth trying to get a morning appointment if you possibly can- although not necessarily easy after a bank holiday so don't beat yourself up if they can't squeeze you in sooner. As others say, increasing her water intake will help in the meantime- you could maybe leave a tap dripping as cats are often partial to running water, and, as odd as it sounds, putting a water bowl in a separate room to her food, and using a nice, wide, non plastic bowl makes a difference too. Also plenty of opportunity to pee helps- maybe an extra litter tray somewhere nice and secluded, where she will feel very safe, in addition to her normal one. Hope that helps and she feels better soon x

Thank you. I tried to get an earlier one but as we also have a Mw appt I could do it any sooner. Things always seem to happen around a bank holiday :( she's peeing small amounts and sleeping a lot but when she does go she is in and out of the tray a lot. I think she is associating the pain with her tray as she is trying to go in weird places like the bath and by my freezer :shrug:
I've put extra bowls around the house in her gave places and the kitchen tap is left dripping although she is just sleeping.
I did read one article that mentioned stress as a trigger and even used major changes such as a new baby as an example :(

Our cat has returning crystals and it is a real worry :(

Do keep an eye on where and how much she's peeing. If she's just peeing dots then I would insist on an appointment. If she's doing small patches of wee then that will be ok till tomorrow.

If you are really stressed and really unhappy ring back and insist on an appointment - you're paying for it at the end of the day so demand one.

We bought a Cat Mate to help our cat with his issues, he refuses wet food - naughty cat!

Whenever he's been to the Vet he has healed extremely quickly with the medication and the special food. The panic is just in making sure they're weeing.

Hope you cope alright till tomorrow! :hugs:

Thank you, she's peeing but I don't think it's huge amounts but she's going often. She's eating and playing. When dh returned from work we rang the vets and got an earlier appt and rang our Mw and asked if we could push our appt back a bit to fit it in. Much happier now to know we can take her in first thing. Poor thing I've had cystitis and I know how painful that can be :( I hate the idea she is hurting as I can't explain to her why it's important for her to drink.

Glad you managed to get an earlier appointment- she will feel loads better once she's had some treatment. Cats with cystitis do tend to pass urine little and often as the inflammation will make her feel like she constantly needs to go. Also very common for them to pee in inappropriate places- bath is usually a particular favourite! As a female cat the chances of her getting obstructed are very, very low (unlike in male cats) so as long as something is coming out, that's the main thing. Your vet will be able to advise you of things you can do to help her relax, in case stress is contributing. You sound like a great owner and I'm sure she will be back to full health in no time.

Thanks for all the advice yesterday ladies. Furry baby was diagnosed with feline cystitis and stress apparently caused by all the changes being made because of the baby (who knew) she's been given an anti inflamatory and some anti- stress tablets.
So thank you :)

Glad she is ok :) those meds will have her back to normal in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->