Not pooping

apple_sauce

Mommy to an angel
Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I breastfed my first for over a year but never had any issues like this. My newest addition is a month old. She has stopped pooping and I am getting concerned. It has been 3 days now without a proper poo. She will occasionally have skid marks but not any kind of proper poop. Since I had her she has usually done one large poop a day. I know breastfed babies can go days without pooping but she seems very unsettled. She has raging gas as well. I have never heard so much gas before! She's having tons of wet diapers though, peeing is not at all an issue!
Anyway I just want to make sure this is ok or if I need to take her in.

Thanks!

My dd was exclusively on breastmilk, I feel like in the beginning she pooped every day or every other day, but as she grew a bit older she started only going once every 10 days! I thought something was wrong and she was grunting and crying a lot like she was trying but nothing ever came out. I took her in and the grunting was from very uncomfortable reflux, she spit up ALL the time but I didn't think anything of it. She was put on zantac and it did wonders for her. But she still only pooped once every 10 days. Dr says it's normal, because breastmilk is so pure and all nutrition there is just so little waste so it's common for them to not go very often.

However, if your baby seems unsettled it could be constipation. There are some belly massages you can do to try to get things moving for them, if you google it there are plenty of other ways to help relieve constipation as well. It could have been something you ate that maybe is causing it?

Dont worry! I had and have the same problem and my doc said it's normal. My boy went 4 days without a poo. He now goes once every 3-4 days. He is 8 weeks old. He started going poo after every feeding. Then once a day, then once every few days.

Thanks for all the help!

I will continue to wait it out. Hopefully when she does go it won't be too bad!

Don't be alarmed I guess it's normal unless her stool is not dry and hard then she's not constipated. But if it still persists after few days, I would advise to consult a pediatrician.

My son started slowing down on the poops around that age, and at about 3 or 4 months he sometimes would go 2 weeks! I took him in several times as I was worried, and although the doctor originally prescribed a laxative, it made him really uncomfortable so we decided it wasn't worth it, considering his poops were always liquid or very soft and he was peeing a lot and gaining weight. I did notice he would become a little more fussy the day or so before a poop.

I know how nerve-wracking it can be, but it is normal if your baby is otherwise normal. He's on solids now and pooping every couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->