Not sure how to help my 6 year old

MrsT&Ben

Reaction score
My son has always been a very whingey child. Never been content just being. Needs a lot of attention and always needs to be in charge.
He doesn't really have many friends, but this doesn't seem to bother him. Rarely gets asked to play at people's houses after school and the party invites have all but dried up. I'm starting to wonder if kids at school have had enough of him being bossy and not willing to do things there way?
Anyway I'm rambling.
My main issue is he doesn't seem to be able to get through a day without having at least two or three tantrums. If he's asked to do anything (have a shower, get dressed, generally help around the house) he always has some sort of breakdown about it. But then on other occasions he will do it without question.
He has serious jealousy issues around his little sister and they can't be left in a room together as he'll try and upset her. I know a lot of it is attention seeking but something makes me think it's more.
I don't know how to help him or get him to explain what does through his head.
I'm not sure I've explained it very well. But I'm at a loss. (I'm a single mum, and dad is a very hands off kind of dad - he sees the kids a few times every week)

I'd ask to speak to the SENCO at your sons school and see whether they can refer/direct you to a play therapist who can help get to the bottom of your DS's troubles and help him learn ways to work through his frustration/jealousy. Understanding what you're facing sounds like the key :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->