Not sure where to put this.. (senstive subject) (move if needed.)

HannahGraceee

*Hanny Spammy*
Reaction score
Hiya! im doing an assinment and was wondering if i could have your help?

My assinment is based on the vanessa george case, and the failing at little teds day nursery..

and what you (the public)'s opinion on the issue?

for example.. has this case made you more wary about sending your children to nurserys or daycare?

or if you are happy with the way the case was handled and the inprovements to the policys

and any other opinions on the case

thank you xxxx

Il help you Hannyyyy I miss you xx

do you have any links on the new policy? and the case in general?

I worked in nurseries way before this case happened, i would never send my girls to a nursery/childminder....... there is way too much opportunity to be left alone with children and i have worked with plenty of people i wouldnt be happy leaving my girls with. My eldest daughter started a pre-school at age 3 and so will my youngest daughter.

People also think these sort of things are rare but 1 in 5 peodphiles are women and i think there is something like 64, 000 female peodphiles on the register in this country and those are the ones that have been caught!!!

CRB checks only stop the ones who have a record, i think that 2 staff members should be present in a room at all times,(no staff memeber should be left alone with children for any length of time) cameras/mobile phones should not be allowed in the settings either.

unfortuantly you just dont know and cant predict things like this happening, i think the only thing they can be done is make it as hard as possible for a people who work with children to be able to spend enough time with a child alone to be able to do this to them iykwim. x

you cant trust everybody unfortunatly x

Thank you so much! :)

I work in a nusery myself as a modern apprentice - as you were saying about working alone since this case came about they have developed a lone worker policy.. So there has to be at least 2 members of staff in the rooms at all times even if you are in ratio - I don't have all the information at hand I'm on my iPhone lol

I am really pleased to hear about the loner worker policy.........that would really put my mind at ease and hope all settings follow through on that policy and that staff members/managers stick to it......(my faith still isnt so great in nurseries)

On the flip side, i make sure i am never alone with children , i.e helping them in the bathroom, i will ask another member to come with me as we have to cover our own backs as much as anything else...... a child only needs to say soemthing and it can be taken the wrong way....

for example

a 3 old had soiled himselve and a staff member took him to the bathroom to clean him up she asked another member to go with her, the little boy told his mum that a teacher was touching his bottom..........this was just infact the staff member wiping him, she explained this to the parent and the other staff member was a witness that this incident was completely innocent however if this staff member had been alone, there would of had to been a follow up investigation and god knows what may have happened. x

we as a pre-school are now considering calling parents into the setting to change their own children if they wet or soil themselves as the local schools do. however annoying this may be for a parent staff members now need to start thinking about themselves no one wants to be put in that situation above. x

With the 2:1 ratio for toilet trips is that compulsory everywhere? My daughter attends a pre school, the toilet is out of the main room off a corridor with 4 cubicles. I used to have to sign for nappy changes etc (since trained) and there were always 2 staff present but I've noticed when picking up my daughter now that when children use the toilet there is only 1 staff and up to 3 children :shrug:

^^^^ No its not compulsary policy in our setting or others but alot of staff in our setting want someone with them because of the reasons above. The ratio is 1:8 for over 3 years olds. A staff member can be left alone with 8 children however that never happens in a pre-school. No one is ever left alone as its an open setting apart from in the bathroom.

when i worked in a nurseries with babies if i only had 3 babies they would move a staff member elsewhere and 1 staff member would be left alone all day in the room with the 3 babies........... i worked with someone for about 8 months before she 'left' and i dreading leaving the babies with her when i went home or for lunch and god knows how she treated the babies when left all day with them. she had so many complaints from parents and staff (me) that something had to be done IN THE END.........when she was on an early shift the babies would cry when the parent tried to hand the baby over to her etc i also heard her call a baby girl 'a wingy little tart' and quite ruffly put a baby in a highchair for lunch even though he had a soiled nappy and shouted 'well you can sit in that crappy nappy until after you have had lunch now' ........i looked at her....walked over took the baby out of the highchair, change his bottom and popped him back in the highchair and said there you go, nice clean nappy and now you can eat your lunch feeling comfortable. she looked at me and said 'well that got me out of changing a crappy nappy'...........
i complained to the manager who really didnt do anything....this staff member was in her 40's i think i was about 23 and my manager said to me she is a nurse who worked with poorly babies in hospital she has more experience and training than you.
She apparently left her nursing job because she was being bullied, however the stories she told us of what she use to do with the prem babies is awful. Eventually she got moved to the 2-5 year old room but still got complaints however our manager seemed to like her so would defend her, in the end the manager said we dont want to 'sack you' as that will look bad on your CV so if you hand in your resignation i am sure you will find work still in the child sector.
she is working with children last i heard which was a while back was with disabled children. I am not saying that she did anything as terrible as the women in the case but still this isnt the only worker i have worked with who doesnt treat the children how they should.............i have worked with others who have left children in very wet or soiled nappies because 'they cant be arsed' to change them or have 'forgotten' to give a child lunch or their milk feed. (not forgotten again just pure lazyness) also plenty of staff members who ignore screaming babies or crying children.

I think since the incident happend alot more policies are coming into place, i think when choosing a setting for your children having a read through their policies and procedures folder is a good idea.

i am trying to get a policy in place regarding 2 staff members for toilet trips as this is the only time a staff member may be left alone with children as our setting is set out the same as your pre-school setting. We have now employed a 5th member of staff to ensure that we are able to have at least 2 staff members together at all times.

The only issue in a pre-school setting is the bathroom issue, there are no other opportunities for staff members to have time alone with a child long enough for someone not to realise etc in a pre-school setting it would be extreamly difficult for any thing like the nursery case happen, unless ALL STAFF members were sick in the head...........which would be extreamly unlikely.

Voulunteers and parents are NOT allowed at any time to be left unsupervised and are not allowed in the bathroom at all unless with their own child before or after a pre-school session.

in schools if a child wets or soils themselves, parents are called to go into school to change their child, the teachers/assistants will no do this. teachers and students will only have 1:1 in a classroom with another staff member present, a child is never alone with a adult for any period of time.

childminders are obviously alone with the children they look after all day. Personally for me a childminder would not be an option.

nurseries have more opportunity for things like this to happen and obviously a younger age range, where children cant talk and tell their parents what has happened again a nuresery is not an option for me.
Everybody i have ever worked with in a nursery setting (and these are alll extreamly good people who are fantastic at their job) would not send their own children to any nursery.

Now obviously not EVERY setting is bad, not every childminder is evil but my own personal preference and experience says pre-school are for me the settings i feel more comfortable leaving my child.

I don't know enough to comment, but I think fulltimemum's child went to that nursery at the time. Might be worth a search.

I would never be happy leaving my lo in a nursery. A few years ago I worked in a nursery for a short time, was never crb checked(I did work in a residential home at the same time so they prob thought I was ok) and left alone a few times with the kids. At one point I was even left in the babies room with 2 babies for an hour.
I think bringing in a lone policy is an excellent idea to protect both workers and children.

https://www.plymouth.gov.uk/serious_case_review_nursery_z.pdf this is the serious case review on little teds nursery if anyone needed more information on the subject

thank you for everyones feedback on the subject and is everyone ok if i use quotes in my assisment??

oned CRB's -

Im a nursery nurse, worked in a nursery for 8yrs qualified for 10yrs.
I have worked with a few people that i wouldn't leave my dog with never mind my kids. people that come and go so are never crb checked and are left with the kids alone from day 1.
I think having 2 people in the room at ALL times is great. I think of the days i spent alone in the baby room and cringe , i would never leave myself so vulnerable like that again with no one to back me up.

I spoke to the manager of my middle lo's nursery cos the bathroom was directly opposite the front door and they never shut the door. i don't think think parents should see the kids on the toilet/potty or in my case a lo totally naked after having an accident.

my yongest will only go to pre school when she is 3 and play and stay with me. no nurseries or childminders xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->