Not sure whether to take Sophie to the dr or if I'm being paranoid!

katy1310

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
For a few days now I've thought I've heard a tiny wheeze when I've been really close to Sophie but it's hard to say whether I'm imagining it! When I was changing her nappy just now I was pretty sure it was a wheeze I was hearing, and she has sounded quite "panty" along with it part of today. I have asthma and I'm sure it sounds like when I'm just a tiny bit wheezy, the kind I can hear but nobody else can! I'm wondering whether I should take her to the doctor or if I'm just being really paranoid with her being a preemie!

Also, her FIL visited yesterday and was cuddling her and kissing Sophie loads, and now today he has come down with a really minging cold....is it really bad if preemies catch a cold? I'm hoping Sophie doesn't catch it :( I know it's inevitable that she will be among germs but we try to keep her out of crowded places etc as much as we can. I'm just hoping her grandad won't visit for a few days till he is over it, but I don't want to be rude to him and say he can't...it sounded like a really bad cold when I spoke to him earlier.

If it puts your mind at ease then take her to the doctors. My doc sees Holly every 6 weeks and I get her to listen to her chest even though she has no symptoms it's just peace of mind.

Holly had her first cold in Nicu and it mainly affected her nose as she was all blocked up.

I am worried about Holly getting RSV this winter so am mega paranoid. All our family & friends know any illnesses then stay away. If you don't want to say anything can u get your oh to ask him to stay away until better?

It's so difficult because I want her to have some immunity so don't want to keep her in the house. Like you I just go to shops in quieter times.

Is Sophie getting the flu jab?

I'm thinking I might...or I might get our neighbour to have a wee listen with her stethoscope (she's a nurse) and see what she thinks then take her to the dr if she hears it too. Sophie's not had her first cold yet. My parents would definitely stay well away if they were ill but I'm not 100% sure about FIL...he gets his mail delivered to our house (long story!) and some came today that he was waiting for, but I didn't tell him it was here or he'd have been straight round inside 5 minutes! We were a wee bit sneaky and DH phoned him tonight and said it had gone under the door mat and we'd only just found it, and he took it round to him! (then went straight to wash his hands when he came home!) I'm like you, I want to give her some immunity but I'm terrified of her catching anything! I take her out for a walk every day but not to anywhere crowded and we are being extra careful about hand-washing etc. I don't know whether to get the flu jab for Sophie, are you getting it for holly? xxx

My GP is checking with the hospital consultant to see if she should have it. If they say yes then I will prob get it.

i dont think you are being paranoid @ all your LO has been through a lot and you want to protect her, i would continue to avoid fil for some time, my little Michael is getting rsv shot next week, sofoe looks so ADOURABLE in your new avitar

Bronchiolitis and RSV are soooo common in prems I wouldnt take the risk. Jaycee was admitted to hospital in December with both. If I had kept her at home any longer they said she could have died. Its a serious condition and if it is that then she would need medical attention. Allthough there is no medicine that can cure it.
I dont think your being paranoid.. I didnt see the full effects of how hard a preemie fights until Jaycee was admitted to hospital. There was one other baby in the room with us who had it she came in a day later than us and went home two days earlier. The doctors explained that Jaycee fights too hard and gets tired, these are lasting effects to being a preemie so its always there.
If your worried I would go. You can never been too sure... Hope she gets better soon

Thank you ladies - I phoned the docs and they didn't have any appointments but I've to take her along tonight at the end of surgery and someone will have a look at her. I'd rather just be sure she is ok. I can't hear the wheeze today but I've heard it enough the last few days to be a bit concerned.

Laura, sorry to hear Jaycee was so ill, that must have been terrifying :(

Agiboma - thank you :)

Let us know how you get on at the doctors.

The neonatal consultants have said that the flu jab is only given to babies who come home on oxygen so Holly isn't getting it! Not too happy about it as other trusts seem to give it to the preemie babies!

Hello again....Sophie got on fine at the doctor's. He listened carefully to her chest and he said that what we are hearing is something to do with her nose being a bit snuffly but he said it does sound like a wheeze even though it's not.

He said he'd much rather I was a paranoid mummy than one who didn't care!

He had a general chat about Sophie too, and he said she's doing really really well :) He said she is very strong and healthy, and that it's inevitable that she will catch something over the winter, but she is now more than ready to cope with it. I told him I was a bit worried with her having been on CPAP until 37 weeks and with her almost coming home on oxygen, and he said that judging by her colour etc her oxygen is perfect now :)

She was standing on his knee blowing raspberries at him, little cheeky chops!

25 weeker - that's really bad about the flu jab...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->