NT Scan advice please!

BostonLover89

Reaction score
I'm super excited/anxious for our scan on Monday but I have NO idea what to expect.

Does the scan last very long? Do the techs usually talk you through the images? Was it a comforting experience or does it generally add more anxiety if the results are less than desirable?

Please share your experiences!!! Thank you so much! :kiss:

I didn't think it took longer than usual scans, but my scans were always fairly detailed. I had 2 NT scans; one with my regular OB and then 2 days later I had one with my perinatologist. My OB always told me exactly what he was looking at and showed me various things while scanning. At the perinatologist, the tech scanning would occasionally point out things, but it was more typical of her to scan in mostly silence and then the perinatologist would come in and scan himself and tell me what he was seeing as he scanned. I will say though that most techs will not say much during scans. The doctor is the one who holds the liability insurance and so the techs leave it up to the doctors to explain anything.

And, of course, if something unexpected comes up, it would be stressful and worrying. I was high risk for something to be wrong with baby anyway, which is why I was seeing a perinatologist. During my 12 week scan, there was a bubble looking thing near the umbilical cord. The tech first noticed it and when I asked what it was she said she didn't know. When the perinatologist scanned me I asked him and, much to my horror, he said he didn't know and hadn't see it before. By the time the scan ended, he had decided it was probably a cyst on the umbilical cord, an indication of chromosome problems. I was already placed at a 1:11 risk for trisomy 13 and 18 and 1:17 for Down syndrome and this was before the scan. So yes, it was extremely stressful. All turned out fine with baby though.

I'm glad I had the scan and then went to have the MaterniT21 test, which tests for things such as trisomy 13, 18 and 21. I am one of those people who believe knowledge is power and I feel more in control the more info I have. I wanted to be able to prepare myself if something had been wrong, and would have wanted my doctors aware as well in case something needed to be done right after birth. Plus, I wanted to deliver in a small community hospital, and if baby had something wrong I'd have needed to deliver in a larger, better equipped hospital.

Sorry for the book. Oh, and I see some people refer to the test as having a high false positive rate, but that's not possible because this test doesn't ever tell you that something is wrong with baby, it only gives a ratio. Even if you were to get, say a 1:2 risk that somethig is wrong, doens't mean something is. You have a 50% chance that nothing is. Good luck and hope you have a wonderful scan with absolutely nothing to worry about!

The reason why people say there are a lot of false positives is because it is rarely explained to them as it should be. You are exactly right, it is a probability test not a positive or negative test. For example my coworker got a call from the doctor while at work and started freaking out because the nurse said that there was a probability that her child had down syndrom. It was nothing. The probability was that 1 in 400 babies that she had would have down syndrom -_-

Unfortunately the only tests that can tell with definite accuracy is invasive testing. I wouldno worry too much about it in all honesty

I just had mine on Tuesday, and it was all fine. The doctor explained what was on the screen as she went, looked at the baby from different angles. Baby was wriggling around having a good old time. She didn't really explain much when she was measuring the nuchal fold but since I'd read up, I knew that's what she was doing. She didn't tell me the measurement exactly but said it was in the normal range (I checked the chart for myself later ;-) ). She also gave me the CRL, said all looked normal and sent me on my way. I was just happy to see baby again, growing well. Was not really so worried about the results. Hope all goes well for you too!

Thanks for your replies ladies!!! Tomorrow is the big day, bright and early! Doubt I will be able to get any sleep tonight but I feel less anxious and more excited.

We are planning on making the news public Christmas Eve so hopefully we will get a good pic of the baby and reassurance that everything is alright at the appointment!

Looks like we are the same gestation, I also have my NT scan tomorrow. Good luck!

My experience has always been quite fun. You are scanned by a radiologist in New Zealand usually, at a clinic. They are always nice and talk you through everything they are doing and looking at.

We don't have the same sort of medical setup as the USA so there is no hiding what they see (good or bad) for fear of doctors getting sued or any of those silly things.

Had a great appointment today! The lady was so nice, once she got the image she needed for the screening she took some time to show us different features of the baby. She even looked for "the goods" but the cord was blocking the view too much.'

She even gave us a bunch of pictures, some of which were in 3D! She said they usually don't do that but since it's the week of Christmas I suppose everyone there was really cheerful. Thank goodness for that because I was a blubbering crybaby mess lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->