NT scan unable to measure baby

cskme_

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I won't be in my 2nd tri for another week but I went for my NT scan today and they are getting me to come back on Friday because my baby was relaxing with its head on its chest so they couldn't properly measure it. It was awake and bouncing but just wouldn't stretch its head back. Has anyone experienced this and gone in for their second scan and the baby is still in an awkward position? What do they do in that case? Do they make you come back again or do they just say forget about the NT scan? I'm worried that they won't get a proper reading on Friday. And any suggestions on how to get them to stretch their neck out? I heard drinking Oj 10 mins before ultrasound helps to get them moving.

I missed out on the NT too because baby was doing a headstand! It's not a big deal because they can test for Down's with a blood test at 16w. X

You can get a blood test from around 10 weeks if it is really important to you to know if baby has down syndrome. It's the Harmony test. If they can't get the proper measurement on Friday, maybe look in to that option.

I'm in Canada and unfortunately the Harmony test costs $950.00. Hopefully baby is in a better position tomorrow!

This almost happened to me too! But the baby finally sprung up off his back towards the end of the appointment. I don't know how patient your tech is, but mine was really working at getting the baby to move - shaking and poking him with the probe, asking me to cough, etc. His stubbornness eventually made me laugh which is what got him moving! If it happens again, maybe a giggle will do? Good luck!

I'm in Canada and unfortunately the Harmony test costs $950.00. Hopefully baby is in a better position tomorrow!

I'm in Canada as well and I didn't have to pay for the blood work for the downs test.. :shrug:
My doc failed to get me into an OBGYN in time for the NT scan, so when I got accepted into midwifery (15 weeks) I brought it up and they did the blood work right there.. No fees.

Maybe I am confused, I do have a requisition for bloodwork. I am supposed to go directly after my u/s, I am assuming even if they don't get a clear u/s I am still supposed to go. I think that a harmony test is a different one than the one I am going for, if I'm not mistaken harmony tests are more accurate and they actually tell the gender of your baby through your blood too. I know that the one he is sending me for has something to do with a combination of the blood+ baby's NT measurements (I was under the impression of this, I could be wrong)

This almost happened to me too! But the baby finally sprung up off his back towards the end of the appointment. I don't know how patient your tech is, but mine was really working at getting the baby to move - shaking and poking him with the probe, asking me to cough, etc. His stubbornness eventually made me laugh which is what got him moving! If it happens again, maybe a giggle will do? Good luck!

She tried for a while, got me to lay on my side and got me to get up and pee in hopes baby would move, she also jiggled the probe around too. But she was not as patient as she could have been, I'm hoping it's a different tech this time, or that maybe she will keep me for a bit longer if baby wants to be stubborn again this time. She was also being rude about printing off pictures for me because I think she was in a hurry. She gave me the worst pictures, there were tons of better ones she could have chosen. I'm going to specifically ask for a nice clear one this time as I want to use it for my announcement photo. I just hope she's more patient with me this time or that it's a different tech

I had my '12 week' scan at 13+6 and baby was also doing a headstand so she couldn't get a measurement. They couldn't get me back in for a retest so they've booked me in for a 'quads' blood test that tests for Down's without a scan measurement.

Haha that's cute, I drank an orange juice before my next scan, I read online that if your baby likes to stay in one position, drink something with sugar and it'll get moving around. We ended up getting the measurements on my next scan and the little one was bouncing around and had the hiccups lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->