Nuchal translucency 8mm at first scan

biglebowski

Reaction score
My OH and i went for our first scan yesterday. I was told I was 13 weeks but the widwife quickly indicated she was very concerned. There was fluid around baby's neck measuring 8mm. She said anything over 3 was abnormal and indicative of issues. We were quickly ushered to another room away from waiting room and told we had to meet a consultant.
We were in shock and very upset.
When the consultant arrived he told us that the scan results indicated either a chromosome abnormailty or a heart condition / issue. We were offered some options and have chosen to get a CVS test which they arranged for Tuesday next week. They said this will test for Downs and 2 other extremely life limiting conditions that would mean our baby would live a matter of hours after birth. We are scared as the test carries risk of miscarriage but feel we need to know.
If these come back clear we will be offered an amnio at 16 wks to check for other less common chromosome issues.
Again if these come back clear they will then carry out regular scans to check for heart abnormalities. These wouldn't become apparent until around 20 weeks.
My OH and I are reeling as the consultant was very factual and kept telling us the odds werent good and kept saying "if we get that far".
Has anyone been in this position before, or underwent any of the above tests? Im so scared and terrified. I had to call in to work today as can't stop crying. We keep thinking the worst and can't believe how much things have changed in 24 hours. We expected to come home with a grainy pic of our jumping bean.

Hi,

Firstly, I'm so sorry you're going through this, it's a stressful thing to be told and unfortunately you could have a bit of a wait for answers. I thought I'd share my story and hope it helps.

At my 12 week scan, like you, we were quickly told that fluid around the baby's neck measured 6.5mm and were ushered away to see the consultant. The consultant was lovely and explained that this abnormally high measurement of fluid could be an indicator of chromosomal abnormalities or heart conditions, OR nothing at all (and it would just disappear). I was really upset when we were told the options of cvs / amnio. He also told us about the harmony blood test we could have done privately (it was an eye watering £500 but we went ahead). 2 weeks later we received the odds that there was a very very low risk of the baby having any chromosomal abnormality. We went ahead and had amnio at 16 weeks which confirmed this. (Amnio was not painful and over very quickly, I worried so much about it beforehand but I needn't have).

I continued to have monthly scans until 26 weeks. No heart defect was found and I'm now sat feeding my perfect 9 week old baby boy. I hope my story gives you some hope. There are success stories out there with higher numbers than yours (I did ALOT of googling atlfter our first scan). I really hope it is a positive outcome for you, it really is a nerve wracking experience and I wish you all the best.

Take care Xx

Thans so much for sharing your experience. The consultant was very grim, handed us the tissues and didnt mention at all that the issue could resolve itself. I think thats why we were so upset, he made it very bleak and talked frankly that we may choose to terminate due to baby's condition being "incompatible to life".
Ive been online all morning and have found some comfort in positive stories. Thanks so much for sharing yours, it helps to have a little light at the end of the tunnel. Ive decided to try and just focus on Tuesday and get the CVS over with. Breaking down to each stage seems so much more manageable. Also helps that I have a very energetic (and healthy!!!) 3 year old who takes my mind off google!! OH has been amazing, but was awful seeing him so devastated. We will keep talking abd giving each other comfort.
Thanks again!

No problem, I know I found great comfort in reading other people's stories at a time when everything was so uncertain. I think the waiting wondering is the worst. Sounds like you have a great attitude, it's so important to keep talking to your oh. I think my husband and I made the mistake of not talking enough as we didn't want to upset each other. Taking it one step at a time was key for us too. Harmony, amnio then each scan felt like a little victory.
Sorry the consultant was so bleak, I'm no expert and all I can give you is my experience and opinion based on what I've read but from what I understand of nt, there is a chance this could resolve with no issue. The consultant also told me that many heart conditions are minor and can be corrected. Try not to lose hope.
My two year old was welcome distraction when I got too involved with Google also! It's amazing how they force life to go on no matter what else is happening.

Good luck with the cvs, I'll keep everything crossed for the best outcome. I believe you get the first results pretty quickly.

How are you getting on biglebow? How did your cvs go? I hope that all came back clear x

Im sorry to say that the results were not good. Prognosis for baby was extremely poor and when we met with consultant to discuss options they carried out another scan. Babies heart was no longer beating. I had to have an induced miscarriage. I had baby last Tuesday evening. I'm focusing on getting better physically as there were complications and I lost quite a lot of blood.
The experience was awful and unfortunately we didn't have a happy ending.
I know how stressful the CVS is but if anyone wants to know about the process feel free to get in touch. It's such a lonely experience if I can help anyone I will.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to read this :( what a heartbreaking week for you and your oh. Look after yourselves and be kind to yourselves whilst you grieve for your angel. If you do decide to try again I hope you are blessed with your rainbow very soon. :hugs:

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my second baby at 12+1. We had a scan at 11 was that showed increased NT measurement. Went to Aberdeen for CVS a week later. When they were scanning to find baby there was no heartbeat. Be gentle with yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->