Nuisance Neighbours? This thread may contain a bit of a rant.

glitterfly

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

First Apologies for the rant that this thread contains!!!

Secondly, I was wondering if I could get any advice / experience you have had with noisy neighbours.

OH and I moved into our new place in Octber and found it perfect until One afternoon our walls started shaking... Went in to the bedroom to learn that the noise was coming predominantly from around there. Next thing I know is I can hear the beat of music and my bed and water on the side table is shaking because of the vibrations...To be quite frank it really got under my skin and for the next few days when it occurred it caused me and Oh to really argue as it bothered me but not him.

One night we went to see Jimmy Carr and got back at around 1am after going for drinks. We got into bed and went to sleep only to be woken at 4am by this stupid music and it's base vibrations. OH and I went to the spare room but could still hear the music so I had to put earplugs in to sleep.
The next night at 1am he did it again so OH and i argued an I went round to knock (whilst OH walked about 5ft behind me) and there he was outside his flat at by this time 1.30/1.45. The whole while OH was telling me not to bother. The man looked at me like I was rubbish and I said 'I'm sorry but do you know who is playing their music so loud?' and he said 'do u want me to turn it down?' so I replied 'If you could as it's right next door to my bedroom so wakes me up. Bit of a nightmare when you have to be up early.' To be fair to him he turned it off and the noise reduced until Xmas. I thought nothing off it as it was Xmas time. however now that we're near the end of jan I'm not finding it acceptable that I've been made to sleep in the spare room because of it and I've had to purchase earplugs which Dont prevent me from hearing it.
Last night I had to get ready to go out to the cinema with ear plugs in... I just don't think it's right!! He also had his music on from 6.30am (or that's when I noticed it) today and it's still on...

Am I right to be upset? I really want to make a complaint but OH keeps tellin me not to. :( feel so stuck in a rut.

To anyone that got thought that... Well done. And thank you in advance for your advice!!!,

Xxx

I really don't get how people can be soo rude & inconsiderate!!

Who would you complain too? X

its really not acceptable - you should be able to enjoy your own home peacefully. You can complain to the local council and they will ask you to monitor the noise, if its excessive then they can seize his stereo although he will know its you who complained and it would make life awkward for you living there. I would definitely have another word with him and tell him to keep the noise down.

Ring I think it's environmental health they will prob come and see how it affect you they usually put recording equipment in. If it's rented you could ring your landlord but not sure what they can do x

Do we share neighbours????

Seriously I feel for you as I could have written most of that myself. Even the bit about dh and I arguing about it as he doesn't think it's unreasonable but he can a) sleep through anything and b) goes out to work so doesn't have it from thecrack of Dawn til early hours like I do with being home. I also think women hear different frequencies than men as i find the Base worse than the volume.

You can speak to your local environmental Health department and they can help. The only reason we haven't said anything at this stage is we are Hoping to move soon and you should declare Any disputes to the solicitors so we are planning on just having chat with them near the time and say we have viewings and could they keep the music down for a bit. in general we are lucky as they are reasonable enough just a bit inconsiderate.

That's not acceptable, I would report it to the local council.

poor you my neighbour blasts out their music too but it mainly in the day so i dont complain! Try having another word if all else fails ring your council. Its not fair on you loosing sleep x

When I lived with my ex I had the same problem, he sometimes came in at 1am and the music was on and you could hear the music and them talking.

It went on for months, then he got put into prison then he came out and it all started up again.

We rang the police on numerous occassions and they told us to go to environmental health, they said if its rented they caan be evicted and also if its mortgaged they could ahve a fine and maybe prison.

I was always told by my ex never to go round as he was violent, it got to the point were I was awake all weekend at one point...

We used to have this problem as well for almost a year every Thursday until Sunday our whole flat would be shaking due to the bass from downstairs; our property is housing association but our housing association gave management of most of the flats in this building to another smaller housing association to manage so they can fulfil some type of quota, the downside of this is that there is often a breakdown in communication between the two HAs, and the housing association managing all the downstairs flats are a small religious housing association and they don't seem to have the first clue about dealing with anti social behaviour. Anyway I did complain and the smaller housing association who managed that apartment downstairs and across from us believed the lady who lived there when she claimed it is only her who is ever there and she is either asleep or out all day as she works nights-we saw 4 teenagers/people in their early twenties going into that flat like they lived there so we reckon she was subletting. We felt disheartened as they simply would not believe us and our own housing association said there was nothing else they could do but I think that woman got scared and kicked out those people because it never happened again xx

I find this so odd and unfair - where I'm from we have a noise by-law that states no loud music, partying (no loud anything) after 10:00pm even if you live in a subdivision in your own home. No noise on the streets either. If someone reports noise coming from somewhere that is truly an annoyance the guilty party is given a warning and after that they get fined. Works well for everyone out here as you can party and have all the fun you want without becoming extra loud and harassing neighbours.

Complain, complain, complain :)

My biggest pet peeve is people playing their music loudly, I cannot stand it. I'm always quick to ring noise control when this is going on. The way I see it, I'm considerate and play my music quietly, I don't know why it's so hard for others to do the same :shrug: I complain to the council, I'm not sure how it is where you're from though.

What happens is you ring to make the complaint, they log it and ask you to call back 15min later if the noise is still occuring. So you call back and they'll send somebody out to serve a notice to the noise-maker. If the person making the noise starts back up after the notice has been served (within a 72hr period) they have the source of the noise removed from them. Score!

I hope you get it sorted soon xx

Here it really depends what area you're in; my sister had a noisy neighbour and the council came round when the noise was occuring; told her to turn up her TV-then said 'see? you can't hear their noise now, its your fault for having your tv on too quietly' :( xx

You need to ring environmental health - we did this but i think from memory you can only call during working hours.
If it's rented accommodation then find out who the landlord is and complain.

One thing that you need to watch out for though is that if you ever decide to move you have to declare any instances of calling environmental health/police in relation to your neighbours and this goes down in the information that your potential will read. Therefore try to only complain once or twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->