Nurofen?

katy1310

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Hello, just after a wee bit of advice. So far we've only ever given Sophie Calpol for her teething but one of my friends suggested Children's Nurofen. Is it safe to give Nurofen to preemies? I just ask because I have asthma and I'm allergic to nurofen and other ibuprofen-based medicines so I was just wondering if it's safe for preemies who have been on CPAP etc for as long as Sophie was (10 weeks).

I'm maybe just completely paranoid but I'm scared to try it and just wondered if anyone else has given it to their preemie?

I honestly don't know - I've only ever given paracetamol-based painkiller to Andrew.

But I didn't want you to think you'd posted and nobody had answered!

Does Calpol specifically mention that it's okay for preemies? I don't think so, so there would be no reason why Nurofen would mention it either. When I first bought Calpol (or rather, pharmacy-own-brand!), the pharmacist went to great lengths to work out what the dose should be based on weight rather than age, as she knew Andrew was small for age.

oh i dunno lovely..... you know what my answer is.... Neonatal :rofl:

Sorry I don't know either. Calpol & calgel is what I use for teething.

Look, if Simon was still there I'd be phoning right? :rofl:

Hey hun, I only gave my boys calpol until about 4 weeks ago when it wasn't touching their high temperatures. The doctor had previously told me when one of the boys had a virus to use nurofen for children & calpol together. I wasn't a bit nervous about trying it but my friend who has twin girls who were 10 weeks prem uses it, so in desperation when I couldn't get Ben's temp down one night I tried it & it works much better than calpol!!

Maybe as you have issues with it you should check with your doc, but I don't think the fact that our babies were prem makes any difference x x

Hey hun, I only gave my boys calpol until about 4 weeks ago when it wasn't touching their high temperatures. The doctor had previously told me when one of the boys had a virus to use nurofen for children & calpol together. I wasn't a bit nervous about trying it but my friend who has twin girls who were 10 weeks prem uses it, so in desperation when I couldn't get Ben's temp down one night I tried it & it works much better than calpol!!

Maybe as you have issues with it you should check with your doc, but I don't think the fact that our babies were prem makes any difference x x

That sounds reassuring! Were your boys on ventilators or CPAP or anything? I think that's what's making me a bit nervous! xx

Ella wasnt on cpap for more than a day but we're finding calpol not working for fever with teething so tried nurofen this week and does bring temp right down. Told pharmacist she was prem and they worked out dosage for her weight

Ella wasnt on cpap for more than a day but we're finding calpol not working for fever with teething so tried nurofen this week and does bring temp right down. Told pharmacist she was prem and they worked out dosage for her weight

I think I'll speak to the pharmacist - thank you :) x

That sounds reassuring! Were your boys on ventilators or CPAP or anything? I think that's what's making me a bit nervous! xx

Yeah they were ventilated for 5 days and were then on low flow O2 for ages!! Well Ben for about 4/5 weeks and Joshua for about 6/7 weeks x x

ive been using nurofen a few times on and off for a few months i only use it when ive tried calpol or a herbal powder for teething and its not helped, Shes been fine when ive given it to her.she was also on CPAP for 10 days.i did phoned my GP to ask about the dosage and was told to the dosage based on her weight i was told to give half of the 2.5ml you would give to a full term baby.Do ring to check has all babies a different.xx

Yes, and we all know why that is! Is he not still there???

I think he's at St. Johns just now :p heard he's progressing up the ladder ;)

Aww, we wanted him to see Sophie next time we were in because he was totally gutted that she left without saying goodbye to him :rofl: He had already told her she wasn't allowed to go home when he was on holiday!! Alan sneaked her off out to the car without her saying bye to Simon and when I went to say bye to the nurses he was seriously upset that she was gone without saying bye!! :haha: So he won't see her at all now...

Aww, we wanted him to see Sophie next time we were in because he was totally gutted that she left without saying goodbye to him :rofl: He had already told her she wasn't allowed to go home when he was on holiday!! Alan sneaked her off out to the car without her saying bye to Simon and when I went to say bye to the nurses he was seriously upset that she was gone without saying bye!! :haha: So he won't see her at all now...

Well I don't think it was for good, by the sound of the conversation i had ;) hes on my fb but hes never on

Well I don't think it was for good, by the sound of the conversation i had ;) hes on my fb but hes never on

I remember the panic you had when you friended him :haha: I was going to friend him too but I don't know if any of the sophie pics were captioned about him :rofl: And there's that pic of him in the fan club page :haha:

oh my god right enough, awww wheres the tena lady....

oh my god right enough, awww wheres the tena lady....

Remember "Ah've heard rumours o a nurse called Simon and by all accounts he's sexy...ah've got ma beady eye lookin for him"!!!! :haha: I had to have a mad rush to delete any reference to you!!!!!!

I know eh!?! Had to be said though like lol! Loved the pic ur OH sent me in neonatal - priceless :rofl:

That seems like AAAAGES ago now eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->