Nursery and finding one that will take a baby at a young age..

Tsia

My MyloMan - he turned 1!
Reaction score
What age can you start taking (and leaving) your child at a nursery?

I am considering going back to work on a part time shift rota basis.. and have an interview next week.. but am concerned about who will have Mylo if OH is working and his mum cant have him.
Is there places that take your baby as young as 5 months? but on a pay by day basis cos I'll probably only need to drop him there 4 days in a month!

...and.. where the hell do I start looking? Yellow pages or ask HV?
(clueless me)

the nursery i work in take babies from 3months x

Some nurseries take babies as young as 6 weeks so I don't think you will have a problem finding one.

YOu might however find its a problem if you haven;t got a regular day you want him to do on, as they have to plan how many staff member they need on a certain day, and as they probably have something like 3 babies at around Mylos age per staff member they will might want it to be a regular day in the week. x x

a childminder might be a better option? they can offer more flexibility?

I'd say look for a childminder too. I've been looking into childminders and they seem very flexible.

Have a look at this site https://www.daynurseries.co.uk/
I found it very helpful when I was looking x

from what i've ever heard most places take babies from 3 months.... altho I'd say go 4 a childminder too. I personally feel (and this is just an opinion...not a judgement on parents who opt 4 nursery) young babies need one-on-one care rather than being put in a nursery environment. There is alot of research to show that being in an nursery envirmoent is very stressful 4 babies. Children under two are not thought to need to integrate with other children their age for development or personal reasons. They thrive better with the continual contact of one regular adult.

also from what i've heard, childmionders r cheaper.

i think u can get lists of nurseries and childminders from ur local sure start (just google sure start 4 numbers), ofsted (who regulate/monitor nurseries like schoolc and will give them an ofsted 'rating' and pos if u call the local council.

happy hunting x

Finn started at 6 months. In a way, It's a good age to start, because he didn't and still doesnt, have separation anxiety that might be an issue at 12 months, and he could crawl and getthe toys he wanted. He is still the youngest baby but he loves it there... I'd look for a place that has the babies and toddlers separate, because you don't want him trampled. Ours has a baby unit, and a sleepy room for naps with cots in. They have a lot of toys that he likes too, of course! He does go regularly though, not sure they would want 4 days a month. But He gets a lot out of it so if I dont have a lot of work I get some free time :blush:

Our nurseries do from 6 weeks - https://www.justlearning.co.uk/

te nursery i worked in took babies from 3 months but i do think u will find it very hard finding a place that will let u book random days! if u have a hospital that has a nursery next to it u might find they do as hospital staff work shifts etc

good luck

Lou
xxx

I too would say a childminders a better option as they are alot more flexible and cheaper! Have a look on this website, it has details of all the OFSTED childminders where you live:

https://childcarefinder.direct.gov.uk/childcarefinder/

ive found childminders to be more flexible.. and generally cheaper too.
im going to see one on tuesday as im back to work march :-(

My friend managed to find a nursery that would take random day she had to give atleast 2 days notice of the day she needed and pay a pretty hefty deposit to keep the place open... from what she has said tho the nursery dont seem too happy about it, but some will do it, good luck xox

I too would say a childminders a better option as they are alot more flexible and cheaper! Have a look on this website, it has details of all the OFSTED childminders where you live:

https://childcarefinder.direct.gov.uk/childcarefinder/

Thanks for that! thats a great help.. and a good idea from all of you about chosing a childmider instead. Seems alot more logical.

Now.. do you interview these people? meet them? who vets them? how do you know they will be ok with your child? :shrug:

i don't know from experince so other ppl might have some better advice but i've got a book that has a section on child care and it suggests the following: u make an appointment to meet up with them and interview them (nothing too manic just some questions to get a feel 4 what they're like and to tell them abt what ur looking 4 etc), have a look round the place they will b caring 4 ur child in. safety checks and stuff r done by OFSTED. then ask if they mind u popping in randomly without making an appointment...and then do that. that way u get to see them in a more 'natural' state. i think when it comes to picking a childminder u wanna go on a mixture of reccomendations, their OFSTED rating if they have one and ur 'feelings' on that person/ the vibe u get when u meet them.

im going to meet a childminder on tuesday.. ive drawn up a list of questions, from things like her experience to whether she will do BLW etc.... i think a lot of it is gut instinct to be honest... this one im seeing was a classroom assistant for 22 years, does baby signing, takes them to mums and tots etc which is good..
some people may prefer that dont have other kids similar in age, personally, im glad she has a one yr old.. may be a good buddy for rubes, and means she wont be doing the baby things just for ruby, ie it will be totally a part of their routine! ive also been pleasently surprised by the tax credit contribution once she is in childcare, its increasing A LOT, which i wasnt expecting as we get next to nothing at the minute!
here in northern ireland, they are vetted by social services, and registered for a certain number of kids, depending on their experience & facilities etc, i think the max here is 6, or 4 if they are under 5. they are also required to be fully insured.
im pretty sure its the same in the rest of the uk too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->