Nursing Strike at 11 Months

Beth04

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I don't post often, but I lurk here a lot. I know that many of you have had a lot of experience with breastfeeding, so here I am!

I have been breastfeeding my son for 11 months. He has always been excellent at nursing. Up until last week, I would still nurse him 6-8 times a day (2-3 of those being overnight). I return to work in two weeks, so I planned to start offering cows milk during the day (it is not possible for me to pump at work), but continue to breastfeed overnight/before bed/at bedtime. However, five days ago he stopped nursing altogether. He seems to be getting his top teeth in, and they are giving him a lot of pain.

I have read all about nursing strikes, I've spoken to a doctor and a lactation consultant. I have tried skin to skin, bathing with him, offering often (but not pushing). I am starting to get discouraged, and I feel like he will never return to breastfeeding. If he is ready for that, I will have to accept it. But I want to make sure that I try everything possible before stopping. Whenever I offer, he turns his head, pushes away and cries. He has not even attempted a latch for five days. Is it still possible that he will return to nursing?

Just to mention, he also will not take a bottle (he never liked it, but now he just bites the nipple) and he will drink very little from a cup. Dehydration is not a concern at this point, because he is still getting plenty of fluids through fruit. We were at the doctor yesterday to make sure of this. Of course I realize that his main source of nutrition at this point still needs to be milk, but he just refuses :(

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

I have no suggestions, but I hope it all works out! Hugs!

Thank you :)

Still no success with breastfeeding, but he did guzzle down quite a bit of milk from a cup today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->