Nursing strike?

TXJen

Mommy to Max
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has been through this before, because I'm not sure what is going on with my 3 month old!

The past 2 days, he has been VERY fussy at the breast. He will nurse for a few seconds, then pull off... Then latch back on and pull off again. This goes on for a few minutes and then he starts crying and ultimately ends up in full-on meltdown mode and CANNOT be consoled by anything. Eventually, he will calm down and then falls asleep. This happens any time he nurses during waking hours (during his overnight feeds he actually nurses fine and then goes right back to sleep).

My husband and I have been wondering if he's starting to teethe because he's had a LOT of excess drool lately (like soaking his onesies). He's also started spitting up a lot more, although I don't know if that is something different. Sometimes he also just seems distracted when I am trying to feed him (staring at a light or something else nearby).

He doesn't have a fever and he's still acting like himself other than the nursing issue. We also tried a bottle just to see if he would take it and, while he didn't guzzle it down like usual, he will still drink from it unlike the breast.

I have no idea what's going on and it's so frustrating! I don't think my letdown or supply has changed, I can't feel teeth yet, and he doesn't seem sick... Anyone been through anything like this? I'm so worried something is wrong!

Can't advise as I'm dealing with the same thing to a degree, and haven't worked out what the problem is yet. My daughter is only seven weeks old but she has been really silly about breastfeeding for the past couple of days, fussing, crying and falling asleep randomly. It's really bothering me, especially since yesterday she only had about 2 or 3 decent feeds, and just took tiny amounts the rest of the time, despite me trying desperately to get her to take more.

In the end I concluded she just wasn't hungry, and me forcing the breast on her repeatedly wasn't helping her to get hungry enough to settle down for a proper feed. I think maybe she is starting to space her feeds, but I don't really know? Are you offering the breast because you think your baby should be hungry or because he is acting like he is?

My daughter has also just had a growth spurt so I'm thinking that could be why she is so sleepy and fussy. I've read they have another at around three months?

Sorry I can't really give any answers ... I hope someone can tell us what's up with our babies! To be honest, I am finding breastfeeding stressful, worrying and confusing most of the time. :/

Hmm could be a lot of things. My LO is 3 months and doing the same. I figured teething (because of how she was nursing as well as the drool and hand biting!) and I applied some teetha gel. Worked like a charm and she fed better after. They can be teething for a long time before you'll see a tooth come through the surface.

Sometimes pulling off like this is caused by wind though. I find my DD does this also when she has wind or reflux. I also have a fast letdown - so for me, these symptoms you describe could mean teething/wind/reflux/letdown/something else entirely :wacko:

Process of elimination: get some teetha gel and see if that works. Burp your LO more often during feeds in case he's got trapped wind. Watch out for his reaction during letdown (do you feel it?) to see if it's too fast for him? Fast letdown can cause the spit up and wind.

I don't think this is a nursing strike. Sorry I can't be more help but I'm a newbie to breastfeeding :haha:

Forgot to add that my daughter is also drooling a lot and chewing like crazy on her fists and fingers ...

Thanks ladies. I think I may have found the problem, although it's a very odd one!

I had my finger in LOs mouth and was letting him chew on it to see if I felt any teeth, and was feeling around his mouth... And felt a little razor sharp bump on the left side of his mouth! He then WAILED after I had touched it. Lo and behold, I looked in that area, and it looks like a CANINE is clearly visible through the gum... And is poking through at the bottom! I hadn't even thought to check that area since they don't tend to get those until much later, and it still seems so far fetched... But it looks exactly like I would expect it to look. I'm going to take him to the pediatrician tomorrow to make sure I'm not crazy (I guess it could be some kind of sore or something) but it sure looks that way to me.

Oh wow, a canine already?! Hope the pain eases up for him soon.

Oh no lol! Poor little guy ... going to check my daughter's now!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->