Nut butters

Mary Jo

Mummy to Adam and Joel
Reaction score
Does anyone know if smooth nut butters other than peanut butter (almond, hazelnut, cashew, etc) are ok for babies? We don't have allergies in the family.

My HV said no, but I can't find anything 'official' to back her up.

I've read that they're fine after 6months and Theakston has cashew nut butter :)

My Dr said after 6 month if no allergy, and after 12 month if allergies in family. I have a baby cookbook that puts peanut butter spread in foods for babies from 9 months, which I was surprised at so I guess there are conflicting theories.

OK, thanks ladies. I was going to get some cashew, almond and pumpkin seed butter but maybe I'll leave it a few months.

:)

Ive heard that its best to not introduce any nut butter til age of 2 (unless its in cookies or something) as it is a major choking hazard since its so thick and hard for babies to swallow.

I was planning on spreading it very thinly on warm toast, perhaps with some fruit spread as well. Don't think it'd be too claggy/sticky then, the warmth would help it go down easily I think.

Theakston loves sucking it off crackers and stuff, it just falls apart in your mouth, like sand almost.

That's the cashew nut.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it from a choking point of view, especially the nut butters as they tend to be a lot less "claggy" than commercial peanut butter.

I asked HV abt trying home made nut butter..incl homemade peanut butter and she said there shouldn't b a prob as long as theres no allergies and as long as its smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->