OB or Midwife!? Advise please!!

lalalavo

Reaction score
Alright ladies,
With my first two children I've had the same OB doctor. Since then she has passed away and I've found a new OB only I dislike this one ALOT! I cannot imagine the next 8 months with this doctor or his staff! I was looking into a midwife but honestly don't know the difference, advantages, or disadvantages.. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences or info they would like to share? Thanks!

Not sure I can help but the uk !

Everyone has a midwife and you will only be under a consultant if things are complicated xxx

The way I see it, midwives are for when things are normal and doctors are for when things are abnormal. If your going to have an spontanous labour and deliver vaginally what would you actually need a doctor for? Though I don't know how it works in the US... it all seems a bit overmedicalised with strange rules to do with insurance.

I think the advantages/disadvantages might differ depending on the practice. Of course, if you have any problems or complications I think you'd go with an OB. I was high risk so I chose an OB, whom I loved. I wouldn't stay with an OB, or any doctor, I didn't like. Pregnancy is stressful enough on it's on; you don't need the added stress of having to go to a practice where you don't like the people who work there. uggg.

The reason I say the advantages might differ is bc it seems all doctors all different. For example, I had an OB who had an ultrasound machine in his office. I had 3 previous miscarriages and I'm older, so I was worried about this pregnancy. He was kind enough to scan me anytime I wanted to reassure me. I could call his office and he'd see me the same day. When I had my genetic testing (due to age) his nurse called me and talked with me just to support me and for no medical reason at all. They were just nice people. Not every OB is like that and not every midwife will be like that. Good luck and hope you find someone you like whether it's an OB or midwife.

The way I see it, midwives are for when things are normal and doctors are for when things are abnormal. If your going to have an spontanous labour and deliver vaginally what would you actually need a doctor for? Though I don't know how it works in the US... it all seems a bit overmedicalised with strange rules to do with insurance.

Exactly! I did check and insurance covers midwife 100% and ob only 80% everything is normal with pregnancy so maybe midwife would be the way to go.. I agree no special need for a doctor with a fancy name.

Feel blessed too have our nhs system !!!! It only fails when you need ivf lol !!! X

I think it also depends on what you want. I'm not sure how it is in the States, but many hospitals in Canada won't guarantee your OB will be the one to actually deliver the baby. Whoever is on call will be there. With my DS my OB happened to be on call when I arrived but his shift ended about an hour before DS was actually born so I had an OB I never met before do my emergency section. Luckily for me, she was really nice and did a good job keeping me calm and informed of what was going on. I have a history of complicated pregnancies and losses so I put up with that. Besides, we have a real shortage of midwives so I want to leave them available for the girls who want their natural homebirths.

Midwife hands down. The OB I had was a total asshat. Switched to a midwife that was recommended by a good friend.
Midwives spend more time with you at appointments and are just so much better.

I went with an OB because my mother almost died giving birth to me, and I didn't want to have to switch to someone else if I developed complications. I did end up with spiked BP towards the end, and I can't imagine having to switch to someone new that late in the pregnancy who didn't know me at all. I loved my OB to pieces; he was beyond fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->