Occasional sharp boob pains?

Skywalker

Reaction score
Is this normal?

I will randomly get quick sharp pains in one or both breasts. It's not too bad but just wondering...

Is it during any specific time, like when you first latch lo, or if you haven't nursed in a while?

Is it in the breast tissue or nipple? Do you wear a bra with an underwire that may be causing some pressure on some of the milk ducts?

Let down can cause some pain, but from my experience it was more of a dull squeezing sensation. Thrush can cause sharp pain, I think after baby has nursed. Blocked ducts can be more like a feeling like someone punched you in the boob but it subsides usually after baby has emptied some milk.

My advice is the same as pp. When I had it it was thrush. LO also had it though!

I used to get vasospasms in my nipples, which caused random sharp pains.

I asked a breast feeding consultant about them and she didn't think it was thrush because the pains happened at random times during and inbetween feeds. My nipples also turned white.

I was told to keep my boobs / nipples warm to help relieve the pain, but like you say, the pain wasn't unbearable.

The pains eventually got fewer and they stopped completely maybe about a month ago (LO is 5 months). I think they were caused by LOs bad latch, which has slowly got better.

Hope this helps!

I would get a sharp pain from time to time when I had a strong/force full let down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->