OCD/A spectrum disorder?

November1984

Reaction score
I am the mother to a 2 1/2 year old boy who does some possibly strange things. I was thinking he has some kind of OCD but wanted to compare. Some people have said something about him sounding like he has a slight spectrum disorder.

-Rocks when going to bed, sometimes watching TV.
-Is obsessive about certain things like plants, etc. Will hold onto an object for HOURS on end.
-Has meltdowns if he spills something, his toys don't do what he wants them to do, his clothes aren't on properly. If a flower breaks he is holding he will scream about it being "broken". HATES anything he calls "broken".
-I will find stashes of toys categorized.
-Does not like dirt on his hands. Wants me to wash them if anything is on them.
-Sits in the mirror for a while practicing facial expressions to the point of tears running down his face. Uses this for his benefit when he wants something.
-Has intense focus, will take an object and study it top to bottom. Will look at it through glass or other see through objects to see how it looks differently....studying a flower or blade of grass for a LONG time, milk carton, anything that IS NOT a toy normally. Right now he has a DVD case and is putting his hands through the plastic part - putting it under his blanket....has had it for at least an hour.
-Crazy tantrums if things aren't going his way. ALWAYS has been this way. Will fall on the floor multiple times per day in a total meltdown.

Now for things I am not sure he can have w/an autistic spectrum disorder:
-Insanely social. Talks to everyone, adults and older kids more so than kids his age. Is usually busier trying to talk about the sky or if something is funny more than playing if other people are around.
-Total eye contact with everyone he encounters.
-Understands emotional cues, knows why people have them and how to react.

So, does he sound similar to your kid(s) or anyone's kids you know of that have had a diagnoses? Is this normal? He is SOOOO emotionally draining because of his tantrums. I just know since he was born he seems so 'different' than any of my friend or family's kids.

Hi hun
I have 2 children with special needs and one is on the spectrum so not full autism. This basically means they have traits of autism, not full blown so not everything is going to match. Mine can have eye contact but is still on the spectrum.
I dont like to say wether a child is or not over the net but it is sounding like he has a few traits and well done for noticing.
If you are really worried then go and see your gp and ask for a referral to a peadtrician. x

Thanks I know only a medical professional can really make a call but I just like to compare stories.
He doesn't seem to have any symptom of ASD except tantrums, fixation and some repetitive behavior although like you said I have seen that some mild cases can be such. He doesn't seem sensitive to light or sounds either. Maybe this will end up as Asperger's, OCD or (hopefully) nothing.
I think I am just going to keep things simple for now and see how he acts by 3. I know I have read for hard to place symptoms sometimes it's best to wait before trying to diagnose. If he shows impairment as he grows I guess I will start a process. Thanks again! :)

Hi hun, I would go to your GP and explain.

My son has been diagnosed with autism and he does make eye contact and have good social skills too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->