Odd Question relating to HYPNOBIRTHING?

OgRe_BaBiEs

Mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
I'm hypnobirthing this time around and I'm confident in my technique..... However, my due date is nearing (7th DEC) and I have a horendous cold brewing! I'm postive thinking and hopeful it will be gone in a few days....

MY QUESTION

Is it possible to HYPNOBIRTH effectively when un able to breathe through your nose?

My book suggests all breathing in and out should be through the nose and not the mouth...... This has me slightly worried?

Thanks for any help offered xxx

I have been wondering the same thing. I dread getting my annual 'New Year Cold' and have the same worries as I'm due beginning of Jan. I'm just praying I'll be able to breathe through my nose. But will be interesting to see if anyone has any experience of this :)

XxX:kiss:

i was wondering the same thing today too.
why don't you post it here: https://hypnobirthingforum.com/
people usually get a reply very quickly.

I see my hypnobirthing practioner on Wed, if we haven't found an answer by then I'll ask her what she thinks.

Found this answer in the Hypnobirthing forum:

As was mentioned to Cindy in answer to her "Sleep Breathing Question" a few days ago, it doesn't matter at all whether you breathe through your mouth or nose. The important thing is to BREATHE fully in a relaxed (and relaxing) way.

If you want to breathe through your nose, your care provider may recommend a nasal spray that can help. Those usually do not enter your bloodstream. Saline nasal spray, or a nasal wash you can make using 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 cup warm water is perfectly safe and can help a lot to clear excess mucus from your nose and sinuses.

Make sure you are drinking extra fluids to keep the mucus loose and your mouth and throat moist.

I gave birth in September using the Hypnobirthing technique at home. I was had the tail end of a cold and managed through breathing through my mouth instead when required. :kiss:

Good luck to all you hyno-home birthers, its wonderful - the best thing I ever did! :flower:

There are really no 'right or wrong' ways to breath. Obviously the suggestions are the easiest / most effective but you dont have to do it exactly as per the book / classes. It was one of the things my teacher told me. If you cant breath for the prescribed count it's not 'wrong'. Hypnobirthing is very much a state of mind COMBINED with the breathing. You'll be great!! x

Thanks for all your replys...... I find it hard breathing out of my mouth at the best of times lol..... I'm definately a nose breather anyway. I suppose I'm just panicking over every little thing at the moment with only having 2 weeks left and the fact my DH didn't make it to work this morning because of last nights snow fall causing horrific traffic. He works 20-25 mins away from home and decided to turn back after 2hrs as he's only travelled 4 miles.......So I'm no longer worried about my breathing but to whether or not we make it to the hospital in time as DD active labour stage (from 3cm dialated) was only 45mins.....

Thanks again ladies xx

Definitely a home birth candidate I'd say!! :winkwink: Maybe next time huh?! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"