Off topic - but help please....

baby D

Joshua and Amelia x
Reaction score
I have a little prob. My cat has always been playfull, since a kitten. He is 2 yrs now. But, he hasn't grown out of that phase where they 'attack' everything that moves....cute when they are small, but not so much now - he will suddenly pounce on an unsuspecting arm,hand,leg,ankle...anything....grip with claws and bite really hard over and over! It really hurts! :hissy: And he seems to be getting worse. Last night he attacked my arm while i was asleep in bed Sometimes he really hurts my 8yr old son - he can/has drawn blood! I have tried shouting no, smacking his nose, shutting him out of room when he does it....nothing works, if anything, he seems to be getting worse. Thing is, he is also a really affectionate kitty - loves cuddles, but then will attack mid cuddle/stroke! :hissy:

Obviousely need to sort this out before LO arrives...any thoughts!

:hug:

oh right i have no ideas then lol me n my ex had a cat n she used to acttack me wen my ex would leave the room n shed always bite my toes the little cow haha

have u thougth about re homing him just incase this doesnt stop after all u dont want him to attack baby :(

Maybe spray the cat with a water bottle when he goes near the baby. He'll soon learn he's not allowed.

since being pregnant my cat has got worse with random attacks. its like she's extra grumpy and can sense she's not going to be my baby anymore! I let her get away with too much before but now i'm thinking 'why should i be dictated to by a bloody cat?'

A tip i read on internet is when ur cat behaves like that just calmly remove the cat and try to ignore it - even when it want cuddles - just keep to minimum. The more upset you get just adds to the excitment for the mad moggie! hopefully it will soon realise that its behavior is not getting it the attention it wants.

I'm trying this with mine but she's still got a right cob on with me!

My siamese used to do this...he would pounce from under the bed, wrap himself around my ankle/ leg and bite me. smacking a cat does not work! they just don't care enough! :rofl:

I got myself an empty spray bottle and filled it up with water and everytime he bit me i sprayed him (he absolutely hated it)

cats hate water and it worked...a couple of months later he stopped doing it and he hasn't bitten me since. Its all psychological if your cat thinks they will be punished for biting you then they will quickly learn to stop it!

Good luck :hugs:

My parents had this problem with an adult cat. They bought a plug in (think it was pheremones???) and it workd a treat. The cat was just sooooo chilled afterwards! It saves attacking with water bottles etc! And after a few months, when it ran out, the cat was just a normal cat. Not overly affectionate and not attacking. Might be worth a try? Call you're vets, they'll be able to tell you where to get them from.
Good luck!

You could always give him catnip and make him stoned and chilled :rofl:

Thank you ladies - some excellent advice there x Will def ring my vert and see what they suggest too....really don't want to rehouse my kitty!

My cat is just like that, and she's a girl not even a tom! My children are petrified of her, well actually.. me and OH are petrified off her too. She's got so bad and everything mentioned above has failed... so we have decided the only thing we can do once we do manage a sticky bean is to re-home her :( me and the kids know to just stay out of her way unless you're holding cat food, but a lil newborn can't do that!

i did an experiment yesterday when my best friend bought her baby round, he was having his nappy changed and she sniffed his head and just sat at the side watching but when he started waving his arms about she went into pounce stage, she's a 14 month persian and just plays with absolutely anything goin, she's really clumsy and has to get in everything i open, i open the freezer door turn around and she's in it.
waht i'm going to do for the first few months is ban her from the room if i'm not in it, the et told me the novelty and the smell will get boring and she'll not bother. i'm geting an extra high stair gate as she's short legged cant jump that high, and a high baby bouncer swing thing that would swing if she were to jump up.
them pheremone plug ins are really good, my mw had one for her cat, get em from the vets too.
the fact that your aware is the best thing. don't play/tease with her with your hands tell everone else the same that way she'll learn body parts arent toys, when baby comes get toys and dowse them in cat nip and send her to play with those, another tip from vets its like cannabis for cats lol apperently lol
xx

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread