Oh bugger....

lou_w34

mummy <3
Reaction score
I wrote a post a couple of days ago about how Scarlett pinches when she latches on, i tried the tips everyone gave me, like squishing the boob and nudging her lip with my nipple, and it seemed to work for a while. But now we seem to have gotten back into the pinching, it hurts so much!!!!!!

I refuse point blank to give up breast feeding, but im beginning to dread feeding times as it hurts like hell. I want to enjoy this experience all the time! Not just a handfull of times!

I know its also my fault though, as i should unlatch her and make her get it right, but she gets so fussy and irritated if i do, i just give in sometimes :dohh:

This may be a bit tmi, but sometimes it looks like my nipples are to big for her mouth, so she cant get a good enough grip, but its not all the time they look like it, so i think they may get a bit swollen at times.

Help please girlies
:flower:

Nipple shields have been my saviour! I know some folk don't like them but without them I would have stopped BFing by now. My nipples turned into two big scabs by day 4 and I was crying as I fed her. MW recommended them to me in the end after checking my latch was right.

Am now down to using the shield on one nipple only as the other has healed up nicely. She still pinches a bit to begin with but things are now much better. You could even just use them for the intial couple of latches when she is really hungry and extra 'sucky'. When she has taken the edge off her hunger slip the shield off and go back to feeding as normal?

I bought the Medela ones and they do really help with the pain :thumbup:

nipple shields helped me too. try not to let her latch incorrectly as you will end up paying for it with lots of pain, i know its hard when they get upset, but the more she feeds with the wrong latch, the more likely she will get used to it. :hugs:

I was going to suggest trying the sheilds, too. If they work, you can phase them out when her mouth gets a bit bigger. Just keep working at a good latch with a wide open mouth every chance you get. But use the shields to help you get through the wost of it. There is no sense in being in pain if you can avoid it!

:hugs:

Good for you for being so determined! :thumbup:

shields worked for us too! we used them from birth and have now managed to phase them out. LO still pinches from time to time but you just have to persevere and try to get a good latch. If your skin is really sore, giving it a break by using the shields for a few feeds now and again is a saviour in my opinion!

I definitely would have to have given up by now if I hadn't been using shields.

Oh thanks! Ill deff give the shields a go!!

One thing though... do you wear them while your feeding? Or is it just while your not feeding to protect them??

xxx

https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/112/nipple-shields

While you are feeding. :)

Honestly, the shields are unlikely to help you with the latch, that's something you just have to keep working on. It just takes time I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->