• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oh dear, Xmas dilema

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
This is really silly. Heart and mind in battle.
My ds wants a tractor for Xmas. Problem is, he wants a real one 😂. He already has a ride on JCB from a couple of years ago that has lasted really well.
I could buy him a bigger ride on tractor for £45. But I'm in 2 minds. My heart says buy it, but my mind says don't, because I don't want to be the mum who buys exactly what he wants so that he doesn't get upset. He needs to learn that we don't get everything we want but I know I won't be able to deal with the heartbreak when it isn't there Xmas morning. Nursery have done a great job of telling him that if he isn't good, he won't get the presents he wants. 😭
Help!

What if you gave him money or a gift certificate for half of what the tractor costs, and then a chore booklet that he can use to make the rest of the money. So he can cash in a coupon for giving the dog a bath for $5, or unloading the dishwasher for $2, or something. Once he does all the chores in the booklet he would have enough money to buy the tractor. That way he still gets the tractor but starts to learn that you have to work to buy the things you want. I would make the chores in the booklet things that he wouldn't notmally be responsible for, things that are outside of his usual chores/expectations. I would also probably get him another smaller gift so he has something tangible to open and play with on Christmas.

what do you do in normal life? If you go in a shop and he asks for stuff do you just buy it, probably not. I'm quite a tough mummy so I don't give in to everything my kids want. If they get upset then I explain to them that it's OK to cry but it won't get them what they want. I cringe at videos I see online of kids crying when they open presents and it's not what they want and I don't want my kids like that, which is why I don't give in to everything they want. Might be harsh to some but it's the way I do it. Nursery hasn't helped you with this one ����

I’d get it. If it’s the one thing he’s asked for then it’s not about getting everything he wants, to me. I think there’s plenty of time and different ways to teach him you don’t always get why you want. Christmas to me isn’t the time to do that.

For me it's a no brainer. I would get it.

If it is the one thing he has his heart set on, I see no reason not to?
I get my girls as much as I possibly can at Christmas (from their lists and surprises) and they are far from being spoiled girls that demand everything and get everything they want. I definitely don't pander to their every want, and they are happy with any gifts they receive.. it's Christmas, and I want to make it as magical as possible, they are only little once

Why don't you tell him that he already has a tractor but other boys and girls don't, so maybe if he gives his old tractor to boys and girls who might not already have one then he might get another one from Santa?

That's probably how I'd deal with it, but I've never really been in this situation so far since my daughter is only 2, all she asks for is "toys" "Anna Elsa" "sister" and "chocolate"

She sure ain't getting a sister 😂

I would also get it ( I know this reply is late ) given it’s the one thing he has is heart set on.

Hope you managed to come to a decision your happy with !! It’s a tough one ! X

Well, I found one, lots cheaper and really nice actually! A friend of my husband had pointed out to DS, that santa wouldn't be able to get a big tractor down the chimney! Lol! So after thinking about this he said he'd just like some presents! Aww.
Anyway, we bought it because actually, all I'd bought him were some PJ's and socks! 😂 He was s excited when he saw it.
As a previous poster had said, no I'm not a mum who just buys him what he wants and he doesn't ask for things in shops (yet) not bad for almost 4yrs I think. There is no point asking what he wants if I'm not going to use that information! Obviously I wouldn't go mad and would try to sway him if it was a ridiculous request! There's no way he getting the horse he's been wanting for the last 2 years!

So thanks for your thoughts and input. I have one smiley boy who's now desperate for nice weather so he can ride his big tractor outside!

Aww I’m so happy you got him one !

Main thing is your happy and more importantly your little guy is happy ! Hope he enjoys it !

Yay, I’m glad it all worked out. Hope he gets out on it soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->