OH has got Shingles!!!

KatienSam

Mummy to Ella & Faith <3
Reaction score
My OH has got shingles, he is in a lot of pain and ended up at A&E last night, they gave him sum big pain killers and viral treatment. But now im worried because my mum cant remember if i had chicken pox, i phoned the doctors and they couldnt see anything on my notes but my GP will check it out and call me back, if i havent had chicken pox i have to go to doctors for blood test!

Now im worried and have made OH go stay at his parents until i know if i have had chicken pox! :hissy:

Oh no!! Poor OH, but how worrying for you. Here's hoping you did have it already :hugs:

Best see if you have chickne pox but I had the shingles loads in the past and damaged nerves and it wasnt contagious anyway. Its part of the chicken pox virus though like cold sores etc

Oh no Katie!! You got your hands full then! :hugs:
Am sure all will be fine hun!! xxx

I had a scare the other week hun, The Doctor told me as i had it as a child not to worry , And the nhs direct told me With shingles its only passed by touch !! , Not air borne Chicken pox is air bourne and much easier to catch .. Hope this helps .
And my friend Sarah (Whos sister originally started the chicken pox scare) Is 12 weeks pregnant and has actually caught the chicken pox virus , She has seen her Midwife and Doctor who told her not to worry .. Everything should be fine .
Hope you manage not to catch it thow hun , Hope your OH gets better soon . xxx .

oh nooo that's no good i hope he gets better soon and it isn't too painful throughout. Fingers crossed you've had it before though and don't have to worry, keep us updated on the progress and the phone call.xxxx

In fact you are more likely to get shingles from your partner if YOU HAVE already had chickon pox and it is more likely to re-emerge from being latent in your body. I've had chicken pox 3 times now (twice as an adult) and I can tell you its not pleasant. I came out with a rash last week and had it checked out, but I was concerned about baby too so I did lots of research on it. The first 24 weeks are when baby is it risk so I think you are playing the situation right.

However, I would take comfort in the fact that its very unlikely for you to get shingles unless your immune system has already been weakened by some other condition such as a cold or food poisoning. And you wont contract the virus itself unless you come into direct contact with the fresh blisters.

Oh no. Thats not nice. My Nana recently had shingles, she had it for months. She had pain in a ring all around her stomach. She was convinced she got it from going on a bus! Hope he doesnt have as bad as my Nana. :hugs:

well i spoke to the doctor who has called the microbiologist to see if they can test my blood they took at my 12 week scan to see if i already have the antibodies, if i have then il be fine if i havent then i have to have a jab. Meanwhile the OH has to stay at his parents so i dont come into contact and that could mean a week!!! what a nightmare!

my mum said she thought i had it because she remembers giving us a porridge bath (WTF?!) but there is no record on my doctors notes so being careful, really dont want to take any risk with baby so looks like im home alone for the week!! Going to take the time to get this house clean and tidy while OH is pampered by his mummy for a week (and doesnt get annoyed by the dog waking him up at silly hours and cat attacking his feet), he is well happy lol xx

Aaaah Katie, well it wont be long and you can have him back!! Bless. xx

A porridge bath - thats a new one :lol:

Somebody in my office had shingles so i called the doctor and was told that you cannot actually catch shingles, but you can develop chicken pox FROM shngles if you haven't already had it. If you have had chickenpox, you can then get shingles later in life, but it is not contagious.

Also the incubation period (i.e when you can get chickenpox from the person with shingles) is actually before the shingles rash appears, by about 10 days I think.

My doctor told me today you can catch it but if you havent had chicken pox it will turn into chicken pox rather than shingles but normally you only catch it by direct contact with the affected patches. I have got 10 days from date of him getting it to get a vaccination if i havent had the pox! Hopefully will have results tomorrow or thursday but i will be ringing them tomorrow to check because i dont want it to get forgotten and i want my OH back home!!!!! :(

Put it this way, I would think at least i get the 'power' (remote control in our house) for a few days :rofl: xxx

Hmmm....I'm a little nervous as well. Have done some tests and found out that I'm in the very early stages of pregnancy...going to see my doctor to confirm on monday. We had my OH's mother over for dinner on tuesday and then told her this morning about the baby. She called tonight to tell me that she was actually at the doctors today and she has shingles, so she was worried about me. I've had chickenpox before, and have read all the posts, but am still a bit concerned...:confused:

its fine if you have had chicken pox, and unless you have direct contact with the shingle blisters when they are weeping you cant really get it either. i wouldnt worry hun, i was only worried because we werent sure if i'd had chicken pox but i have yay! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->