Old lady name?

JessdueJan

Reaction score
Well DH and I have decided on the name Ivy Elizabeth if our yellow bump turns pink!
I love it, I think it's pretty and will no doubt use is regardless or others opinions but... A lot of people are gobsmacked when we say it and are telling us it is too much of an old lady name?!
I did point out that as soon as we call our baby it then it will become a baby name so I don't see the issue but my mum and mother in law are both horrified :dohh:

I think it's fantastic and not "old lady" at all. I really think that it's a classic and beautiful name :)

I love Ivy! Old names are very fashionable at the moment, show them the top 100 names list, maybe when they see how popular all the older names are becoming they may change their mind. Xx

Thanks ladies! I thought it was classic too, cute enough for when she's a baby but sophisticated for when she's a bit older :)
Think I will show them the top names next time I see them, I thought they would appreciate a less modern name, they complained Kaiden was too modern, guess you just can't win at times :dohh:

I love it! Besides old lady names are very in at the moment so she would be going to school with lots of other children with old lady/man names, it won't seem weird at all.

Very pretty! I honestly think they may have just been jealous that they didn't think of it first :haha:

I personally think it's beautiful. Don't know where they are getting the old lady bit from.

There is always someone with negative things to say. Personally I love Ivy Elizabeth. It's not "old lady", but timeless and elegant.

its beautiful and old fashioned names are in. I had some comments over our names as they are old fashioned but I have had more positive comments. My family love our names as they are named after my grandparents but my mil doesn't like, I think its more as they are from my family though lol and she is now happy with dd name, she still hates ds name

Oh I love it!!

I think it's beautiful and timeless. I adore old lady and old man names :D Amongst my babies' friends and groups etc I currently know babies named Nora, Ivy, Iris, Evelyn, Martha etc etc the list goes on!

I cannot understand how anyone would be horrified at their granddaughter being named Ivy. It's gorgeous! Just think of some of the names you COULD have chosen...!

I don't really like it but don't think it's an old lady name.

Its absolutely beautiful :D don`t worry it will grow on them and change their minds im sure x

I get the same thing all the time. My DD's name is Elliana, but we always call her Ellie, and everyone says "that's my grandma's name." :roll: She will BE an old lady one day. At least I'm not naming her something that's only cute when she's little.

Love it! Trying to persuade OH to consider Ivy :haha:

Thanks for the replies ladies :flower:
Definitely made up my mind to use it now! Knew I wouldn't be the only one to think it was a lovely name xx

I love the name Ivy and it was on our list, def go for it if you love it despite what others say. It's none of their business! We're calling our little girl Elsie Alice Rose, and we're not telling anyone until she's born as I know we'd get negative comments and I can't be arsed with them!

Firstly, I think Ivy Elizabeth goes well together & is very pretty! It gets a :thumbup: from me!

Secondly, I don't think it's an "old lady" name. I've never known an old lady named Ivy! :shrug:

Thirdly, I don't *get* the old lady name trend anyhow. I agree it's kind of cute to see a pretty little sweet baby girl with an unexpected "old lady" name. However, I don't think a 10 year old, or a 20 year old woman with an old lady name is ideal. Personally, I would hate to have an old lady name. I think most women would choose a pretty name for themselves, something appealing. I just can't imagine any woman saying, "I wish I had an old lady name!" So why then saddle a baby with one?! Just my opinion!

At any rate, Ivy is a great name - and i'm surprised your family doesn't love it!

Firstly, I think Ivy Elizabeth goes well together & is very pretty! It gets a :thumbup: from me!

Secondly, I don't think it's an "old lady" name. I've never known an old lady named Ivy! :shrug:

Thirdly, I don't *get* the old lady name trend anyhow. I agree it's kind of cute to see a pretty little sweet baby girl with an unexpected "old lady" name. However, I don't think a 10 year old, or a 20 year old woman with an old lady name is ideal. Personally, I would hate to have an old lady name. I think most women would choose a pretty name for themselves, something appealing. I just can't imagine any woman saying, "I wish I had an old lady name!" So why then saddle a baby with one?! Just my opinion!

At any rate, Ivy is a great name - and i'm surprised your family doesn't love it!

There's old lady names and then there's OLD LADY names lol. I think the ones that are becoming popular tend to be the prettier ones like Lily or Ivy or Elsie etc. that are very suitable for babies/kids/adults etc. I agree though that if there was a trend of Doris or Agnes that would be different...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->