Olivia is here!

olivetree83

Jon, Hollie, Olivia, & #2
Reaction score
On Thursday October 27th I went in for what I thought to be my last appointment before my induction on November 3rd. The sweet nurses who took me back were telling me how exciting it was that I only had one week left.

When I got into my room, my doctor came in and checked me. I was dialated only to a 1.5 but she said I was quite thin. Before she even helped me up she said due to your blood pressure and weight gain I would actually like to see if we can induce you a little bit sooner. She then said, and also we found 1% protein in your urine. (all signs of preeclampsia) She mentioned that where Olivia was at a healthy weight, and we only had a week left that it wouldn't hurt to start me sooner where I was only getting sicker.

I thought maybe she'd say Monday or Tuesday...but nope...she goes how about tomorrow? Wow! She left the room to make the appointment with the hospital and my husband and I just stared at each other. It was so surreal to think that she'd be here the next day and that we'd be spending our last night together as just a married couple. Of course it's what we wanted-to have her here sooner-but it just came as a shock.

My doctor then performed a NST test on Olivia, did an ultrasound and she looked great. Our appointment was set for 7:30am...

until...

I started having contractions in my lower back around 8:30 that evening. It was so powerful in my back, but nothing was wrapping around to my abdomin so I figured maybe I was having stronger braxton hicks. By 10:30pm the contractions were nine minutes apart, I took a quick and warm bath, by 11:45they were seven minutes apart. I got up and walked around trying to get the pain to go away-I thought my heck we have an appointment in the morning! Just let me sleep! By 1:00 the contractions were much much worse (still in my lower back only) and they were only three minutes apart. I called my doctor at 1:30 in the morning and told her about my symptoms and she told me to go to the hospital right away.

By 2am I was being wheeled to my room. The contractions were so painful!!
After I got dressed my nurse came in (who was wonderful) and put in my IV and told me I was dialated to a three. While she was inserting my IV I felt my waters break. It was so weird, it sounded (yes, I could hear it) like this big pop and it felt like one too then this gush of water.

At 3:30am the guy for the epi came in. I was terrified for this but at this point wanted anything to numb the pain. (I have zero pain tolerance) He performed it and while it was a little uncomfortable it wasn't near as scary as others had always made it seem to be. Not long after I was lying down and while I felt better...legs were numb, contractions were hurting less...I noticed that I could still feel quite a twinge in my right side compared to feeling nothing in my left side. I asked my nurse and she explained that the medication traveled downhill so she repositioned my wedge and after five minutes of the contractions on the right side only getting worse-I asked her to call in the epi guy. He came in, gave me another shot of something and left. DID NOT HELP. By this point I was hyperventilating in pain and throwing up. I gave my husband one look and he demanded that the epi guy come back. Which he did, removed my first epidural and performed a second. It wasn't at all painful..I just wanted it to actually work. Alas! It worked and I couldn't feel a damn thing. It was finally so great to relax and just relish in the experience. My contractions were coming at one minute intervals and by 7am I was at 6cm. My doctor showed up at 7:45am to break my waters (she didn't know they already had) so when she checked me she went..."whoa, I don't feel any cervix...all I can feel is a little head. You're at a ten girl, it's time to push!"

I looked at my husband in sheer terror (so he says :haha:) Yes, I was very afraid. It was time and it was all happening so fast. I started pushing at 8:02am and by 9:02am Olivia Fern was born at 7lbs 5oz and 19 inches long. She received an apgar score of 9 and was perfect. I'll never forget those first moments I shared with my babygirl and my husband-he and I were crying and it was the most powerful and amazing thing I have ever experienced. My doctor was amazing, she stayed with me the entire hour of pushing and was such a great coach. Her voice was very calming and I feel like she took the utmost care of Olivia and I these past entire months and especially when it mattered most.

The hospital stay was nice, by day three I was feeling very stir crazy and ready to go home. My husband has been with us ever since (he has to go back to work tomorrow :cry:) and while it's had it's ups and downs I wouldn't trade motherhood for the world.

I have felt some baby blues, not depression by any means but I just can't believe that chapter one of this life story is over. No longer am I pregnant, no longer will I feel my little one twist and wiggle inside of me. I actually kept feeling "phantom" kicks up at the hospital. The climactic labor and delivery went by so quickly. Now she's home, in my arms and I'm left to care for her. I've never felt so sure of anything in my life, but also so terrified. I only want what's best for her but I am still learning so much. All in all I am so very happy, but a small part of me (the part that was young, who only had to care for her husband and puppies, the person who had no idea the compelling love you are capable of feeling for someone you just met) got left behind when I walked out of the hospital with my daughter on Sunday. My first pregnancy is over...that chapter is closed...and I'm onto the next one. :flower:

October 28, 2011- Happy Birthday sweet babygirl. :cloud9:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 76
wow! what an amazing birth story, congratulations! she is beautiful xx

What an exciting and lovely birth story to match a very lovely little girl :) Glad it wasn't TOO bad for you minus the pain relief not working so easily.

I was so glad that no induction was necessary. It gave me such confidence knowing that my body was built to do this and I could do it on my own. I was so sure that my body would give me such a rough time as I wasn't hardly dialating at all..even after a sweep!

It just goes to show that those little ones know when the time is right and they are stubborn about it! lol

Congratulations Shes gorgeous xxxx

Awww thanks fo sharing, I really enjoyed reading that. Shes beautiful, and has a gorgeous name. Huge congrats to you both xxx

Great story - it brought back memories of the birth of our first child and the "uh-huh! moment" when we realised what it really felt like to have and love a child of your own. It's the beginning of an incredible journey, they just add so much to your life. Well done, she really is a beautiful baby. :hugs:

What a great birth story, i loved the last paragraph and your take on starting a new chapter, and leaving your old self behind...i cried! Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! I can't yet imagine the changes that will happen in hormones and physically and emotionally and everything... I can definitely imagine that I'll be having some "blues" myself. Just keep taking care of yourself. Your baby is GORGEOUS!

Congratulations! Olivia is beautiful. I love the little red bow in her hair! It's so great that you did not need to be induced after all! I am still waiting for my little man to arrive. It's hard playing the waiting game.

Such a lovely story hun and she is beautiful. We were due date buddies so it's so lovely hearing all about your story! Congratulations!

Aaahhh, BnB just ate my post...I just wanted to say congratulations, again, and your birthstory made me cry. It is beautiful, just like Olivia! I hope you'll stay on with a parenting journal so we can continue to support one another with our little ones. I cannot express how thrilled I am for you!

i just KNEW you had gone into labor. i have been checking everyday for your birth story - it gave me chills. congratulations! olivia is perfect in every way!

YAY... congrats girl. What a great story... so glad your LO is finally here ;) She is beautiful!!! So happy we finally have out daughters in our arms. hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->