Olivia was admitted into Hospital

Stef

Mummy to Olivia & PG #2
Reaction score
Olivia was admitted into hospital on Sunday, luckily she was well enough to come out again on Monday afternoon.

I had gone away to Bridlington again visiting family on the Saturday and was fine all day, just a little groggy but I thought it might have been because I woke her up early that morning to come with me and get her ready to set off at 8am.

I went to bed early on the saturday night about 10pm and olivia was fast asleep so i put her down and crawled into bed myself, around 1am I could hear her coughing and wheezing, I wasnt sure if it was because she was cold at the time so i then put her into my bed and although she coughed from time to time she seemed a little easier. I was pondering at this time as to wether I should seek medical attention but too many times i have been concerned and told it was nothing. A little later it was happening again and it was ever so hoarse, she was coughing and gasping so i phoned NHS direct who passed details over to bridlington hospital, as they wanted her checked out.

So i rushed up to the hospital and was taken to see an emergency doctor... who when we got in the room had his head in his hands and had to be woken up which didnt impress me very much any way. I then told him I suspected it to be croup in which he looked at me all serious and told me I was wrong and it was just a little cold that I shoulnt be worried about & sent me off with a prescription. I wasnt convinced with what this doctor told me and tried to chase round all the emergecy chemists in Bridlington who informed me they didnt stock what the doctor had prescribed. I then had to ring round chemists in scarboro and eventually got intouch with some one who stocked it.

So when I got back almost 2 hours later after setting off i read the instructions and followed the doctors orders. Almost immediately Olivia went from bad to worse, her lips turned blue and she went blue in colour all down one side, she was gasping and struggling for breath she was pale any way as she wasnt well but she went a white as a sheet. So with this I started to panic and got my Grandad to drive me to Scarboro hospital as I wasnt chancing going back to Bridlington to see the same doctor again.

We were then seen by many nurses and doctors in A&E. when we set off she was freezing and when we got there her temp had shot up that much i had to undress her and place her infront of a fan. after a short while the doctor came back and advised they were taking Olivia upto the childrens ward to see a peadeatric doctor. When we first went in they said they thought it could be bronchilitas but after carrying out further tests deceided it was a bad case of croup in which thats what i suspected in the first place and felt humiliated by the first doctor we seen. They wired her up to a monitor and deceided they were going to give her a dose of steriods and keeping her in over night. So after we got Olivia onto the ward i dashed back to bridlington to get a change of clothes and night clothes and went back. Chris didnt come home with me this weekend so I was also waiting for him to get down from Darlington. When Chris did arrive he was so shocked at how loud Olivia was wheezing. I cant describe it. I'd never heard any one wheazing like that in my life. :cry:

I barely slept a wink that night and Olivia was right off her bottles, I knew she would be but I was so concerned. It was such an emotional time.

The next morning the doctors came round and where impressed with how much progress she had made that they decieded they would give her another shot of steriods and discharge her. Upon discharging Olivia they also said how the meds that the doctor in bridlington hospital should never ever have been prescribed to a baby. Im thinking of putting in an Official complaint against the doctor.

She's not her usual self, still quite off her bottles but 100 x better now than she was when she first went in. I just have to be extra vigilent now as she is still hoarse and take her back to the doctors if it hasnt cleared up by the end of the week. Shes very clingy at the moment but she has my undivided attention every minute of the day that she needs it right now. It was just so scary.

Heres a few pics I took of the little mite n hospital
https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/SJB_1986/Photo068.jpg
https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/SJB_1986/Photo069.jpg

The day after looking alot better but still very pale

https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/SJB_1986/Photo071.jpg

Next time ill follow my instincts and if I arent happy or convinced I wont leave with my tail between my legs as its my little girls health after all

x

What a scare you had! So sorry to hear about that other doctor, I'd be lodging a complaint too, he should have listened to your concerns, and from the sounds of it NEVER have given her those medications in the first place. Hope she recovers quickly :hugs:

Aww, sorry you went throw this, id put in a complaint too, hope LO makes a speedy recovery xx

Poor Olivia! What a scare it must have been for you hun. And my god i would be going mental with that stupid doctor! I'm glad she's back home with you and i hope she gets better really quickly xx

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Poor little mite, i feel for you both so much. i can understand how scared you must have been.

Im glad shes out of hospital, hope she feels better soon :)

x

:hugs: You must have been so scared! I'm glad everything turned out fine though, hopefully she recovers quickly! I also agree you should put a complaint in! unbelievable what that doctor did :hissy:

Aww poor little mite :hugs:
so glad she is making good progress
I would certainley put in a complaint about the 1st doctor
xx

Oh how worrying for you hun :hugs:

I am so glad she had a quick recovery and shes home.

Don't think about making that complaint - do it!!! Jeeeee thats awful!

Glad shes getting better, definatley put a complaint in, thats just bad!

oh poor little girl glad she's home now though that dr deserves a slappin they never listen to us mothers.

:hugs: sorry to hear about Olivia being poorly, glad she's recovering, know how scary it must have been seeing her turn blue, Rhiannon did it 3 times during her first week after being born, just remember to take care of yourself too so that you have energy to give your little cutie plenty of cuddles xxx

glad she is home safe and sound now must of been really scarey.

I would defo make a complaint about that stuiped doctor

She seems to be much better today. Still very clingy I cant seem to put her down for 2 mins unless she is asleep.

Im so glad she is slowly getting back to her oldself.

Thanks for all your comments and when I get a spare hour im going to get my thinking cap on and write that letter up.

x

Blimey, that sounds scary! Hope she's recovering now hun.:hugs:

Goes to show us all that we should always trust our instincts. I'd definitely complain about that other doctor Stef.

gosh, you must have been so worried!!!

glad she is recovering well!

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back