OMG...how do you cloth diaper an EBF newborn!!!!

wish4baby

Reaction score
My dd is 10 days old. I have a wonderful stash of cloth diapers - she was smaller than expected (6#13) but I still had good luck with my 24 flats & prefolds and 4 newborn covers (a few of my NB aio's fit, and my 6 charlie banana OS actually fit). Well, it was good for a couple of days.
She is going poo SO SO much - I change 24 diapers in 24 hours! No exaggeration!!! She got really raw, and the coconut oil and natural rash creams didn't help, so I had to buy a pack of newborn spoises and heavy duty cream. The rash is just about gone, but omg, the amount of diapers I'm changing makes it so daunting to go back to cloth...
How does one do it? Is this normal? I am really looking forward to when she stops going poo so much lol
(*she was slightly jaundiced so I was/am feeding her constantly to help with that)
I am very disappointed b/c I didn't want to use any disposables!

I used disposables for the first couple weeks because I only bought one sizes and they didn't fit.

Don't beat yourself up about it :) Once lo stops pooping so much it will be much easier to go back to cloth. You will still save thousands of diapers from being used!

It's normal... unfortunately!

I found the only way to deal with it is to get into a laundry routine that works for you and then stick to it. For me, that meant putting nappies in the wash at the same time every day, hanging them to dry at the same time etc. Could you put nappies on to wash at 6pm or so, then hang them to dry before you go to bed (or hang the covers/AIOs/pocket outers and set the prefolds tumble drying?). Then they should be ready to start using in the morning, depending on drying time.

I'm not sure how I got by using only 15 prefolds when she was a newborn, but I was able to make it without using a single disposable. I was definitely doing laundry once or twice a day! I sort of miss those days because you could just toss the whole diaper in the laundry without spraying it! :haha:

It does get easier though!

Don't despair! The pooping does get less frequent. It will settle down.

How about using both cloth and disposables so you're minimising your washing and the number you use. Eventually she won't poo as much and you can phase out the sposies.

So, she's now 2weeks + a day, and pooing so much less the last 3 days...thank goodness! Guess her digestive system needed some time :)

We cleared up her rash using Balmex, sposies, homemade wipe solution (with lavender and tea tree essential oils) and lots of air. Then we switched back to cloth & I am using large amounts of California baby diaper rash cream at every change to prevent another rash.

I think we're getting a system down now - I've been starting the wash first thing in the morning (I have enough diapers to go longer, but most are too big for us to actually use right now - it'll be nice when her belly button heals so I can make them work!) I also got several flannel waterproof pads to put down in case of leaks - there's a large one in my bed, small ones in her bassinett and play yard. Helps with the laundry tremendously, now I don't have to change all the sheets for a bit of spit up, breast milk, or leaks from diapers!

I ordered a few more AIOs this morning to help make night time changes easier. We've had great luck with the thirsties size 1 AIOs, so I got 3 more (figure I'll also use them when we start getting out and about more). Oh, and I got 2 more brands of cloth diaper safe rash cream, since we're going through that like crazy lol

Thanks for all the input :)

Glad it's going better for you now. I just wanted to chime in to say we use Earth Mama angel Baby bottom balm for our dd's rashes. It's great...can't reccomend it enough.

I'll pick some up, thanks! I never imagined I'd be using so much rash cream lol!
We've already gone through the California baby, which I liked. It had a nice smell but it could be thicker, IMO. But - it must be working because she isn't even getting red anymore :)

Sounds like it's going great! We used to sleep on a large prefold to catch the various messes babies and boobs made :D

If you have any fitteds that are too big until her tummy button heals, you could try folding them over at the front. The snaps/velcro won't stick properly then but you can use a wrap to hold everything in place. We did that for a while with some nappies that were great but just too high.

I'd maybe stop using the tea tree as it can be pretty harsh, but lavender is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->