on klonopin and scared

mamacastro

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am almost 6 weeks pregnant, and I have my first OB visit on Thursday.
I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with benzos during pregnancy?
I am on klonopin .5 twice a day as well as 40mg prozac. My psychiatrist made me feel TERRIBLE when I told him about my pregnancy and told me to decrease to .5 once a day for 3 days and then STOP. I'm so scared of stopping my klonopin completely.

I know the only person who can answer my questions is my doctor, but I'm just looking for some reassurance from someone who has been there. I also am looking to see if anyone has had a healthy pregnancy while on klonopin.

Thank you in advance!

I had ativan and/or xanax for occasional use, I was advised to stop immediately. Since it was just for occasional use, it was not too difficult. I still feel like I need it many days, but there is nothing you can do. I wish I could help you further :hugs:

Some doctors advise to stop completely, others want you to try but if you at any point experience withdrawal symptoms then it is better to continue the medication at the lowest possible does you can stand without experiencing withdrawal. There hasn't been a lot of research in this area so they aire on the side of caution. What little research that has been done was done with Valium, which is in the same family as klonopin. I can't remember what letter benzos got on the risk scale for use during pregnancy but I can tell you, my doctor would of kept me on daily 4 mg xanax if I couldn't stop taking them without discomfort and I have known friends who were advised to stay on their benzo medication. My sisters son was fine just a little small. I would suggest googling a support group for pregnant women on benzos, I'm sure they're out there and they would most definitely have more answers and experience than you would find on here. Good luck.

I'm not sure what that medication is but I do no I take prozac 40mg. Did with my 2 children all the way through and there fine xx

Isn't that classified as cat d, meaning studies in animals have shown defects with use?

Have you spoken to your doctor for a safer alternative?

Isn't that classified as cat d, meaning studies in animals have shown defects with use?

Have you spoken to your doctor for a safer alternative?

All benzodiazepines are classed as D or X, the research has been mixed. I have read some places that it is high in the first tri, but the only definite thing I have found is a SLIGHT increased risk in cleft palate.

They are rated that way because when used in the third tri they have a risk of dependency/withdrawal after birth, from days to months after birth, and floppy infant syndrome and stuff, because they are sedating.

n the United States, the Food and Drug Administration has categorized benzodiazepines into either category D or X meaning potential for harm in the unborn has been demonstrated.[100]

Exposure to benzodiazepines during pregnancy has been associated with a slightly increased (from 0.06 to 0.07%) risk of cleft palate in newborns, a controversial conclusion as some studies find no association between benzodiazepines and cleft palate. Their use by expectant mothers shortly before the delivery may result in a floppy infant syndrome, with the newborns suffering from hypotonia, hypothermia, lethargy, and breathing and feeding difficulties.[12][101] Cases of neonatal withdrawal syndrome have been described in infants chronically exposed to benzodiazepines in utero. This syndrome may be hard to recognize, as it starts several days after delivery, for example, as late as 21 day for chlordiazepoxide. The symptoms include tremors, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, hyperactivity, and vomiting and may last for up to three to six months.[12][102] Tapering down the dose during pregnancy may lessen its severity. If used in pregnancy, those benzodiazepines with a better and longer safety record, such as diazepam or chlordiazepoxide, are recommended over potentially more harmful benzodiazepines, such as temazepam[103] or triazolam. Using the lowest effective dose for the shortest period of time minimizes the risks to the unborn child.[104]

I had to take klonopin throughout my pregnancy as well as another seizure medication, lamictal, for a neuromuscular condition. My neurologist even upped the dose a couple weeks before birth, from 1mg a day to 3mg to get worsening symptoms under some kind of control. All this was done under strict monitoring with perinatology, they were not bothered by my taking it or by the dose. This could have been due to the pros being way more than the cons. Anyway my little girl was born at 27 weeks 10 days ago from other reasons and shows no effect of either seizure medication, she's been off all breathing apparatus for a couple days already for a start! No withdraw symptoms at all. Advice I was given was mainly massively increased folic acid. This is just my experience though, always best to get in with perinatology and be closely monitored:hugs:

:flower:I am not a doctor or anything like that, however, my 7 year old turned out perfectly healthy. I was taking 2-2.5 mg Xanax daily as needed during the entire pregnancy. The only problem I had was during week 35 the ob decided to drop me down to 1 mg (I assume due to being close to due date) I ended up having him at 35 wks +5 days and I honestly believe it was due to that drop. I am not condoning the medication at all, just saying the studies done were done on much higher doses and if you are taking a fairly low dose I think you should be ok. As I stated I am only giving you my experience. I'm currently 12 weeks and scared because this is a medication I take daily and have for many years. It isn't something I can just stop. I will keep you in my prayers and hope this eases your mind a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->