One Abnormal kidney

skris4

Reaction score
I have been shattered for over a day now since finding out at a growth scan (I have GD) that my baby has a non-functional kidney. I have been referred to a pediatric urologist . They also talked about doing a heart ecg and a heart rate monitoring for the baby.
Does anyone have any experience or know someone with similar issues?
I just can't seem to function properly. My baby was fine in the 20th week scan. :cry:

Hi, not me personally but my friend had a similar issue. They monitored the kidney, and amniotic fluid level. He was born with no genetic issues. He still has lower function in the one kidney but it's getting better, they just monitor it every once in awhile.

Try not to panic yet! Babies are sturdy.

Hi, I'm so sorry for what you are going through, I also had a normal anomoly scan and issues seen at my follow up...
My friend has a son who had a non funcioning kidney that was seen before birth, he was born perfectly healthy and they monitored it for a while to see if it would shrink on it's own and when it didn't they removed it at about 18 months in what she said was a very fast procedure.. The next day he was up and running around. She just makes sure he stays hydrated and he is very healthy. Hoping that helps some :)

My 5 year old cousin was born with only one functioning kidney. His issue (which I don't remember the specifics of) was identified at the 20 week ultrasound. As far as I know, he's never had any health issues since birth, and he's even allowed to participate in sports (peewee baseball and soccer). He's a very active and healthy boy.

Sending you hugs and wishing for the best. :hugs:

Hi, my son was born with a condition that caused kidney damage and though thankfully his kidney function is good, because of this I've seen a lot of babies/kids with non-functioning kidneys. Some are monitored for the time being, some have it removed and some have transplants, it can vary a lot. However I want to reassure you that we can live normal lives with just one kidney. :) My son sees a consultant twice a year and has checks by ultrasound, BP checks, urine checks and bloods.

Urology will likely have nuclear medicine, contrast dye and/or ultrasound tests arranged when baby is born to get a proper look at how the kidney is functioning etc but they're not as scary as they sound!

Also there are a lot of Facebook groups for parents who's kids have kidney problems. I'm in a few and they have helped me so much over the years. I hope you can find some support somewhere, it makes such a difference! ♡

Thank you so much ladies for the reassurances. I am very glad to hear that there are children living normal lives despite having one kidney.
The doctor who made the diagnosis kept saying "I am sure everything else is fine but sometimes there are genetic conditions that could have caused it blah blha.." .It has pushed me over the edge . While my DH has been able to move past it, I find myself getting scared.
ClairAye - Can you please share the names of some groups, if you don't mind.

Thank you so much ladies for the reassurances. I am very glad to hear that there are children living normal lives despite having one kidney.
The doctor who made the diagnosis kept saying "I am sure everything else is fine but sometimes there are genetic conditions that could have caused it blah blha.." .It has pushed me over the edge . While my DH has been able to move past it, I find myself getting scared.
ClairAye - Can you please share the names of some groups, if you don't mind.

No problem, I will send you a pm! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->