One twin is left out! :(

E

Emire

Okay, one of my 6 year old twins, Shelly, is allergic to so much. She is allergic to: Gluten, dairy, eggs, any nuts and seafood. She can't have even the littlest bit of them. Her twin, Penny isn't allergic to anything, but I can't give her most foods, because Shelly will feel left out.

At school, the girls both want to have mini packets of crackers or cookies or other things that the kids have in their lunch boxes, but I can't give it to them! I give them the same thing; healthy fruit and veg in their lunch boxes, with recipes for things that Shelly can eat. (though I've been running out of things to put!)

I have the teacher watching Shelly over break times, to make sure the other kids don't share their food with her.

I want to give the other kids some different foods, and i want to be able to give them treats when we go out, like an ice-cream when we go to the beach, for example, but we can't because Shelly will cry and feel left out.

I don't know what to do! :( Also if anyone has any ideas for recipes with no gluten, eggs, milk, seafood or nuts, it would be so helpful!

Thanks, Emire xx

Tbh I think it's a shame that you lo without any problems isn't getting to eat other things

Just because they are twins doesn't mean they have to be treated the same, especially as one has no allergies

I think it's more a case of educating your child who cannot eat these things, why she can't and others can, it's a shame she is left out, but it's a fact of her life that she is going to have to deal with

Are there any good natural bakeries or stores in your area? Gluten free foods are more and more common - when I was on a strict diet (for tummy issues) I had to cut out pretty much anything good. LOL. But after a while, I discovered so many shops that sold dairy free or gluten free snacks- even desserts and ice cream etc... you can get them made from coconut milk etc, and dairy free chocolate. I'm not saying stock your kids up with sugar- hehe- even gluten/dairy free isn't necessarily "healthy" all the time. BUT- there should be options if you look around.

I do understand, as a parent, you don't want to make your child with allergies miss out on things or make her feel bad if she does- BUT- it's not really fair to keep your other child from experiencing certain food because her sister is allergic. Hope that makes sense. I can only imagine it's gotta be tough to find that good balance for them both.

Maybe you could find a bakery to take both girls to for a "treat" where they offer stuff both could have? That way they have options. Even make it a special girls time out for the three of you once a week or so? Missing out on certain food, unfortunately, is going to be a part of Shelly's life- so maybe helping her learn about what works and doesn't work now (regardless of what others eat) might help prepare her for the future? My SIL is allergic to wheat- so when we all go out, I don't worry about odering it, but I do make an effort to recommend we go some place we can ALL find good food. Actually, my brother doesn't eat refined sugar and my mom and MIL are both vegitarian- so yea, that's always fun planning food for a family gathering! LOL. I'm making vegan chocolate cupcakes with coconut palm sugar frosting for my LO's first bday so my bases are covered ;)

Hope any of that helped. :hugs:

Tbh I think it's a shame that you lo without any problems isn't getting to eat other things

Just because they are twins doesn't mean they have to be treated the same, especially as one has no allergies

I think it's more a case of educating your child who cannot eat these things, why she can't and others can, it's a shame she is left out, but it's a fact of her life that she is going to have to deal with

I think the same. By making sure Shelly isn't being left out Penny is actually being left out.

At 6 your lo's should be able to understand the fact that Shelly can't eat certain things and be able to deal with it. My DS can't really have things like milk/dark chocolate or anything with additives. While it's not a life threatening thing we have to be careful and we've been honest with him that he can't have certain things but DD can. Since being 4 he's actively asked me if he can have things when he is given them. He is really understanding about it and it truly doesn't bother him that DD can have things that he can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->