One year...help!

Kburt

Reaction score
Hello all!!

I haven't posted in many months, and I feel like I am needing the wonderful advice of my friends on this forum!

I have successfully made it 1 year breastfeeding! That has always been my goal, but now that I am here, I am unsure of the next step. Should I start the weaning process? Should I at least night wean? I am completely aware that this is a personal decision, and I know everyone will tell me that I need to do what is right for us. However, I am really unsure what that really is! I really do love to BF, but I am not sure when enough is enough?
One of my biggest troubles is that my dd feeds all night long. I have tried so many tactics and the kid just loves to nurse at the VERY LEAST, every 2-3 hours throughout the night! I know...this is excessive. And after a year, I just need some SLEEP! :sleep:

Thoughts? Suggestions? How much do you nurse at a year? When did you decide to call it quits?

Following because I'm in the same position! No idea whether to just let him wean off (he shows no signs of wanting to do this) or to help him wean off.

same here! My goal was 6 months when I first found out I was pregnant. After I gave birth, my goal was 1 year. He is now 15 months and I am going crazy! I just need some sleep (plus I have some medical issues that I can't deal with until after he is weaned) I give him all kinds of food during the day but he just loves his boob juice! lol He can't sleep without it. My husband works crazy hours so getting him to help me at night to get a different routine going is out of the question. His pediatrician said to work on the day time feedings first... so I would suggest doing that. Breakfast, lunch, dinner... snacks. Introduce sippy cups if you haven't already done that. Again, I'm in the same boat as you lol so it's going to take some time. The day time feedings have somewhat slowed down, but there are days where it feels like we are back at day one. Good luck!

We had the same thing happen to use. Try looking up Dr. Gordon's sleep help. He gives some pretty sound advice for night weaning and how to do it gently for both baby and mom. But moms need sleep!

Since looking at his information our LO has slept from 7:30pm to 5:30am and then up for a nurse before going back to sleep until around 7am. It took about a month, but with DH's help we managed.

Thanks everyone. It is nice to know I am not alone in this! I'm hoping to start some night weaning after the holidays when we are not constantly on the road and ruining her schedule! Thank you for the advice Kellen, on Doctor Gordon. It seems like my type of parenting for sure!

I'm just so darn exhausted!!!

Well, the recommended minimum is 2 years. From my experience, a one year old seems far from ready for any sort of weaning from breastmilk, beyond the natural weaning that occurs when you introduce solids. By two, however, while there is still a strong attachment to it, they seem more ready in the sense of being less dependent on the milk itself. I think 2 years old is a good minimum.

If you're exhausted, then some gentle night weaning to allow you to continue you BFing in the day for longer is, for me, preferable than continuing to allow 24 hour milk access but feeling burnt out and completely weaning sooner than you might otherwise. If that garbled sentence makes sense!

I reduced my eldest's overnight feeds at 9 months as he was still feeding every 2-3 hours and I was broken. He went down to 2 feeds a night, and eventually night weaned himself at 15 months. We continued to BF until he turned 3 and self weaned. My 9 month old only feeds twice a night anyway most nights, so I don't feel the need to change anything yet. I'd rather reduce the night feeds and feel like a better parent overall and breastfeed for longer!

I don't really have advice on how you should go about it (both my LOs self-weaned) but that does seem like a lot at night, like it's possibly a comfort thing as opposed to actually needing food/milk.

I'd definitely try and night-wean! It can't be good for either of you to still be getting so little sleep. :hugs:

I just wanted to say every 2-3 hours during the night is not excessive, IMO, my DS didn't stop the every 3 hour feeds until closer to 18 months (we cosleep). He is naturally weaning himself :)cry:) as we approach 2 though, it's all been very natural. I'm pregnant again too, so I have no idea if that is involved. But he was nursing several times a day at 18 months (when I got pregnant) and all through the night. He's picked up on more solids now and went to just bedtime and naps and maybe once during the night, to just going to sleep and in the AM.

If you're exhausted, then some gentle night weaning to allow you to continue you BFing in the day for longer is, for me, preferable than continuing to allow 24 hour milk access but feeling burnt out and completely weaning sooner than you might otherwise. If that garbled sentence makes sense!

I reduced my eldest's overnight feeds at 9 months as he was still feeding every 2-3 hours and I was broken. He went down to 2 feeds a night, and eventually night weaned himself at 15 months. We continued to BF until he turned 3 and self weaned. My 9 month old only feeds twice a night anyway most nights, so I don't feel the need to change anything yet. I'd rather reduce the night feeds and feel like a better parent overall and breastfeed for longer!

Totally agree with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->