only a picky eater at home

psychochick

Reaction score
I feel I shouldn't complain because my 13 months old has always been a great eater and famous for his appetite at daycare and at grandparents. He's gaining weight and thriving but somehow he's super picky eater with us whether at home or in restaurants. Lately he's regressed to pushing food out with his tongue if he doesn't immediately recognize or like it. It's like he's 4 months old and learning to eat again. And we're not pushing super hippy foods on him or something, even mashed potatoes or bananas he'll push out.

I know that he's not as growing as much and he's probably learning new behaviors but why's this only happening at home?? He's clearly hungry and will cry and cling to me but then spits out almost everything I offer. He will accept some foods he really loves but then gets tired of it and wants something else, just not anything I'm offering. I feel like my entire weekend is spent trying to offer different foods and hoping he's not going to bed hungry. I used to really enjoy sharing food with him and now I hate it. Is this just a phase or just how it is now? :cry: I know he's probably fine either way but I feel like this is taking over our weekends with him and I would definitely like us to enjoy meal time together instead of having it be a struggle all the time.

Oh honey my dd is the same way and she will be 2 this month. I've found she likes the reaction. She thinks it's funny. What I typically do is provide her a meal so normal breakfast is an egg with fruit oatmeal or a bagel and cream cheese. She can pick on it all morning and will eventually pour water or milk on it and destroy the food at which point I take it away. She doesn't really eat snacks at home. I try offering gram crackers cheese puffs cherish cheese sticks ect and they just end up on the floor so I will give her another meal after her nap which is noodles or mac and cheese or whatever followed by dinner at 6. I just don't react and clean it up during her nap. It's not you but I think he probably is behaving in that way to get a reaction or someting. They start young. I also know some kids do have sensory issues and can't handle certain textures so maybe ask others to keep him a food journal and let him pick at it..

Oh honey my dd is the same way and she will be 2 this month. I've found she likes the reaction. She thinks it's funny. What I typically do is provide her a meal so normal breakfast is an egg with fruit oatmeal or a bagel and cream cheese. She can pick on it all morning and will eventually pour water or milk on it and destroy the food at which point I take it away. She doesn't really eat snacks at home. I try offering gram crackers cheese puffs cherish cheese sticks ect and they just end up on the floor so I will give her another meal after her nap which is noodles or mac and cheese or whatever followed by dinner at 6. I just don't react and clean it up during her nap. It's not you but I think he probably is behaving in that way to get a reaction or someting. They start young. I also know some kids do have sensory issues and can't handle certain textures so maybe ask others to keep him a food journal and let him pick at it..

:( That sounds like so much work! I do try not to react whenever he's misbehaving and i think it works. I just get so confused though because sometimes he's very eager to try whatever I am eating and then like randomly when I'm not paying attention he loves what I'm giving him. And then I try to give him something he loved last time he'll eat 3 bites and then spit it out. Just can't figure him out. One thing I noticed is he seems to prefer warm foods. Maybe because it's cold now. So maybe that's why he eats some food for a little bit and then hates it when it gets cold. I will have to try that theory... just so tricky to find the sweet spot between too hot and too cold.

That's a good theory. Its common for kids to behave one way at home and another around others. Its not work its life you deal with the cards you are dealt and the rest just happens. A friend of mines toddler is so picky he barely eats anything and his likes or wants change day to day. I only ever offer dd one meal choice and more often than not its cheap since I'm well aware half of it will either end up on the floor, as part of food milk or water, or otherwise not eaten. Its hard being a mom especially after age 1 when the kiddo has more ability to vocalize wants or needs and the physical ability to do something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->