only got folic acid?

kat132

3 boys
Reaction score
i went to the doctors today to tell them about my pregnancy and they only gave me folic acid. Should i not be taking some sort of vitamin as well? :shrug:

I think folic acid is the main one. You can take pregnancy multivitamins bit I found they made me sick so only took folic acid on its own.

I was given folic acid and vitamin D. In my first pregnancy I only got folic acid though, I think that's all you actually need though I took pregnacare plus first time round which has all sorts in!
This time I'm struggling to remember each day so have missed a few which I feel terrible about!

Thank you ladies. I have forgotten everything about my last pregnancy. :dohh:
Seeing the midwife in 2 weeks. Always had low iron with both my boys so need to get that checked out.

The other important one is vitamin D :) so either get just a vit D supplement and take both or take a multivitamin for pregnancy that contains both (they pretty much all do) x

I was given folic acid and vitamin D. In my first pregnancy I only got folic acid though, I think that's all you actually need though I took pregnacare plus first time round which has all sorts in!
This time I'm struggling to remember each day so have missed a few which I feel terrible about!

Me too and I feel terribly guilty about it!

Sarah xxx

I think with morning sickness it makes it hard to get enough to keep vitamins down so some doctors just don't bother until the second trimester, plus the baby is so small right now it doesn't really need much, and since the baby is developing vital organs the folic acid is a must have. Honestly I think folic acid makes me feel better after I take it for some reason. If morning sickness isn't an issue for you, you can always buy an OTC prenatal if you're worried about not getting enough vitamins.

I tried pregnancy multi vitamins but I can't stomach them. Still make me feel sick at 23 weeks! I've taken folic acid & vitamin D3 the whole way through instead. Oh and I added omega 3 tablets once the sickness subsided enough to swallow bigger tablets in the second tri. Midwife said folic acid is a must, D3 is recommended. Omega 3 is good all round for baby and mum, helps the joints with all the stretching and helps babies brain!

I'd suggest taking a high quality non prescription prenatal. Tablets are less likely to make you sick, so veer away from capsules. Prescription vitamins are packed full of chemicals that you don't need. Also I'd suggest DHA. It helps the brain development, so always good to be feeding to bub.

I take Garden of Life mykind Prenatal vitamins (they never made me sick when pregnant with dd-and I was ALWAYS sick-but I also took them right before bed to avoid potentially throwing them up) and Minami Nutrition Prenatal DHA. Nordic Naturals also has a really good one.

I am having problems with pills right now so I eat fortified cereal that has folic and vitamins in it. It's the best I can do. I could handle pills with my daughter and she turned out fine. Don't stress if you miss a few. Your baby will be fine

im only taking folic acid, my doctor said thats perfectly fine until 20 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->