Only nursing on one side per feeding

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
Usually my LO will only need/want one side per feeding. But if he's sleeping 4 hours between feedings, the side he didn't eat from gets really full. Do I just let it be, or am I supposed to pump? I woke up and my one side he hadn't eaten from was soooo full and hard. :nope:

By letting him alternate sides, will this harm my milk production? Would pumping cause over supply?

I'm a FTM and could use some pointers with BF'ing. :flower:

I alternate sides unless lo is not settled then I will use both. When he started sleeping longer I had the same problem of a hard boob but after a few days your body will adjust to your lo demand. Pumping can ease the discomfort but won't help as your body will keep making the milk.

OK thanks!!

It just seemed like such a long time before one side was eaten from again. :)

Just to make sure (sorry for being persistent Lol).

If Lo sleeps 4 hours after e as g, and only eats on one side...by the time the same boob is eaten from again, it's been nearly 8 hours. This is OK, and my body will adjust supply/demand?

Example: lo eats on right side at 8am then falls asleep for 4 hours. Wakes up and eats from left side at roughly 12pm. Then falls asleep for 2-4 hours and then eats on right side again (so at 2-4pm).

Fantastic that baby is going 4 hours between feeds! At 2-3 weeks I was having the same issue of huge sore breasts, by 4-5 weeks my supply was much better adjusted and now they rarely get overly full at 6 weeks. I would persist with it as according to your ticker you're only a couple of weeks in, it will adjust :) Just follow her demands and trust it for a bit, you're doing great.

You can hand express a little bit out to make yourself more comfortable but remember whatever you take out you will put back. Pumping lots would increase your supply so it's not recommended for this issue as far as I understand. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->