Only positives

mummy2o

Reaction score
I'm hoping that this post will help some of you with newly diagnosed children, or children who have quite moderate to severe autism at toddler age can look positively to the future, although that's not easy. At 2-3 my son could say about 10 words, wasn't potty trained, happy doing his own thing, ended up escaping out windows or doors if not locked, or escaping from his car seat despite the two finger rule and like most autistic children having melt downs if things didn't go his way. Now at 7 he's got this glowing report.

Yesterday I did my sons statement review with his teacher and he's doing better than what I expected. He had such a glowing report, I couldn't be more proud of him. He's improved his understanding in all subjects at school, although he's still working below the national curriculum level, but his teacher thinks we should be there by the end of the academic year, if not before.

He's starting to make friends in his class and he's choosing to do so, rather than his old school who more or less forced friends on him. This did take half a term but its an achievement he's doing it on his own.

He is on the top set in his class for English, which was the most surprising for me as he never seemed to have that much English I thought. So he's on a table with the more high functioning/aspergers boys with good language. He apparently tries hard to catch up with them when he wants to do work.

Although he still is very silly! After music he has P.E. so he walked back to class with his trousers round his ankles as he knew it was P.E. and he would have to get undressed. (The school encourages him to undress and dress himself and help him when he needs it, unlike his old school who did it for him) He hasn't quite got the concept that he needed to keep them on until he got back to class. But I guess if your in a school with 95% of children somewhere on the spectrum it doesn't matter that much.

The best quote from his teacher was this though. Although Ossian has classic signs of autism with his hand flapping, clapping etc, he's different as he has a much higher level understand than what we expect with someone doing those things. I'm chuffed to pieces and there was no negative feed back from the school. He's going to get a treat his weekend since he's been so good :)

Wow congrats, that must be so great to hear of his progress!!! I must admit I love hearing stories like these. My DS is 2 and is in a special needs pre-school and is non verbal. Whenever his teacher sends a note home talking about something wonderful that he did in school (the last one is that he said "hi") I become extremely happy! So its good to hear stories like these, to see how other kids with ASD have progressed over time.

Love the positives. 6 months ago my son was almost entirely mute. Now he has about 300 words we think. And we've discovered, thanks to his speech therapist, that he recognises the numbers 1 to 100.

My son doesn't have autism but he sounds a lot like your son did at his age. He has around 10 words, some signs, mostly communicates by grunting and pointing. He is incontinent, multiple meltdowns etc. It is very hard. We are about 8 weeks into our statement assessment (everyone who works with him needs to finish their report by 24th December) and quite honestly I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel right now so I'm really glad to know that things can get better.

Your son sounds fab I'm so pleased for you both :)

Sequeena, I know where your coming from. If someone told me at 4, that in a few years he'd be toilet trained, talking and making friends I'd have been over the moon. Until then its just full of what ifs and does it get easier/better. Even now I still have doubts for example will he still go to the same hair dresses when he's 50 (only place he lets people cut his hair in the whole city) or will he be able to live independently and that's way off in the distant future. Or even more present things like we're currently bed wetting despite having nappies on at night and how to do buttons as he wrecks so many school trousers just pulling them up or down when he goes to the toilet (he sits and rarely stands which is fine) so I'm forever sowing on buttons. I know we'll get these tasks sorted one step at a time, but once in a while its good to look on how much they have achieved when other people might have given up on them.

A positive from my Mum's friend who has a 20 year old autistic grandson. On hearing my woes with my son declared. "You tell her not to worry, her son will be just fine."
They had to fight for her grandson to go to a mainstream school but he settled in great. Anytime he got upset all the little girls in his class would go give him a hug to cheer him up.
He flourished in a saturday job stacking shelves and the manager wanted to promote him to the tills but he chose not to do it because he had difficulty reading expressions and he felt he wouldn't be able to tell if the customers were angry with him or not.
The money from the Saturday job allowed him to fund himself through college where he studied painting and decorating. And he now has his own business as a painter and decorator which fills his need for perfectionism and liking for working alone.
Last week he was in town with his grandma having a coffee and she reminded him how when he was little he would only go in two cafes in town and kicked off if they went to any other (they were in another cafe at the time that he previously got upset in) and he said he rememebered that he didn;t like the other cafes but he couldn't remember why now.
And apparently he has always been a great deal less trouble than his 'normal' brother.
Hope this cheers you guys like it cheered me. :thumbup:

I posted a status the other day on FB saying how sad I was with Claire and her inability to make friends. One of my lovely coworkers daughter is on the spectrum as well, and her daughter is in Grade 7.

She commented that she'd talk to me when she saw me next, but that it DOES get better. :mrgreen:

Her daughter had a lot of the same issues as mine does, and it meant a lot that she'd let me know that there IS in fact a light at the end of the tunnel. It is tough when kids are young, you have no idea what's in store. I'm looking forward to when I can say that it IS better. :cloud9:

Another positive thing we've done this week is an almost successful visit to Father Christmas. It was his school one, so they are use to dealing with special children. But he took his time and listened to what DS wanted, didn't laugh when he want a phone book (latest phase), pretended to phone the elves to get them to put everyone to one side (he wanted dvds and the new musical ninky nonk so not just the phone book) then got told he could pick a present. He picked the smallest thing he could find and opened it. The meltdown we got from that as it wasn't a dvd was terrible, it took him some ice cream the older students had made to calm him down. On the plus side no one was looking at us strange when he was throwing himself around the floor, which I have to say was a first and a few of the staff even tried to help. Have I ever mentioned how much I love his new school XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->