Oops, used salt water to sterilize bottle - is the milk ok?

mandi21a

Reaction score
So, I kind of did something stupid for no good reason at all...
I just started pumping for if I need to go out and someone's watching baby, I boil-sterilized some bottles and when they dried there were a lot of water spots making the bottles foggy, I figured it was the hard water so I re-boiled them with salt in the water... They came out much better ! I didn't even think of it and pumped into the bottles... It was only when I sterilized a bottle nipple and 'tasted' it (to see if/how it works lol) that I realized HOW salty it tastes ! I have like 5 bottles pumped & frozen that were salt water sterilized... I am so worried, will it effect the thawing milk? Is it bad for baby to have all the extra salt ??
I won't be doing that again, but now I don't know if I should keep the expressed milk for him..!
Thanks for any help,
(Might post this later to the formula fed section as they are more bottle & sterilization experts than bf-ers)

Hi, salt isn't good for babies and young children so i personally wouldn't use the milk. I know it's devastating to throw away all that hard earned milk but I think it will be contaminated with salt especially if you can taste it. Sorry!

If you can taste the salt I wouldn't feed it to baby, as pp said salt isn't good for babies.

Too much salt can be fatal in babies. I would not risk it. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->