Opinions / experiences with these nappies?

New2Bumps

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
From what I can see, Bambino Mio, Smart Nappies and Imse Vimse are all the same kind of nappy. I like the idea that I can make them up ready to put on and that I can just pull out the folded part when it's wet/soiled and replace with a new one.

I'd love your opinions and experiences of these brands ladies - it would really help :)

A couple of questions too;
- Am I right in thinking that I'd have to buy fleece liners to use with these nappies too, in order to help wick away the moisture (any reccomendations for good liners I can use with the nappies I mentioned greatly appreciated!) I'd also use the disposable flushable liners on the top.
- My LO is only just 8lb but small with it so would I be ok without a booster?

Thanks ladies :thumbup:

I'm not sure about the other two but with the smart nappies you don't really have to use a liner at all because the top of the pad you use is very good at wicking moisture away. The only reason I use a fleece liner is to help disposal of poo easier! With SNs, you have to be careful about liners as the outer is gusseted - any liner poking out means you'll have leaks. I'm fine with that but I don't let hubby use the liners in smart nappies cos he always forgets to check all is tucked in! Flips are pretty much the same, if not better imho.

I use mios with dispoasble liners. They're a good 'home nappy' i like to call them, they need changing quite frequently (as any prefold) which i find a little annoying tbh.

Oh really :( It's a minefield! Ethan is changed before each feed which at the mo is every 4 hrs (he sleeps between feeds) - u think prefolds would be ok with this ?

Really a prefold should be changed every time they wee as there's no cushion to protect their skin if you will, like there is with a pocket nappy. However, in practice i'm not sure how many people stick to this. I tend to change every two hours with a prefold, 3-4 in a pocket nappy.

I used BM and SN when Jack was tiny and thought they were pretty good for what they were. I preferred the SN as it was more absorbent but yeah, I still needed to change them every 2 hours. We moved on to pockets by the time he was 3 months.

Really a prefold should be changed every time they wee as there's no cushion to protect their skin if you will, like there is with a pocket nappy. However, in practice i'm not sure how many people stick to this. I tend to change every two hours with a prefold, 3-4 in a pocket nappy.

I wouldn't say I agree totally, when use fitteds and don't change them everytime she wees and she's never suffered from it, if you use a fleece liner then it's no different to using a pocket, not that I do, I like bamboo next to her skin as its antibacterial, yes if they wee they will feel the wet but it won't do them any harm unless they have super sensitve skin.

Personally I've not heard many good things about prefolds, but can't really comment as I've never used them myself, about the only thing I haven't tried, due to bad reviews really.

No one can tell you if you will need boosting unfortunately, my DD is really light wetter and can wear most nappies, but DS was a super soaker and could only wear heavily boosted fitteds, nothing to do with size or age, ust him.

I hope you find something that works for you!

I had smart nappies when LO was between 3 and 12 weeks, but he then started weeing too much, and even when I was changing every 2 hours he was still having wet clothes. They are not as absorbant as fitteds or pockets, BUT they were brilliant when he was little as the others never fitted well until he grew bigger.
I now use fitteds and love them :)

I'm the same as Hanna, I've not used them but BM and SN have more bad reviews than any other reuseables i've seen. This was my personal reasoning for not bothering to buy them :)

Is there a reaon you have narrowed it down to these? x

I have the Mios - I bought the birth to potty set as it seemed good value. They work fine for us and I really like them. They are really simple to fold and fit my LO perfectly - she is long and quite slim. They also wash and dry really quickly too which was a factor along with the price for us.

However, that said I don't use them at night as they are rubbish and holding wee for that length of time and I like my sleep!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->