Opinions on diaper service or washing yourself?

gina8177

Married with 1 baby boy
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys have some advice on cloth diapering. This is our first baby and we (ok I) have already decided that we will be using cloths diapers. But I'm having a tough time deciding between diaper service or purchasing ones.

If I do diaper service I am pretty sure I know who we'll go through. The company makes everyone of their diapers and they are made with microfiber. I can also get some waterproof covers as well. This is what their diapers look like.

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4275251234_0af0c6e998_o.jpg

The diapers I have liked so far for purchasing are the bum genius and the flip. My only concern is that I can be pretty lazy with the wash and don't know if SO will be up for the rinsing and such involved.

Any suggestions and opinions are totally appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!! :flower:

I never used a diaper service but def think it would be nice to have for that first month with a newborn...I didn't start cloth with my 3rd until he was 2mo old but plan to do it from newborn stage with my next. I personally wouldn't pay for diaper service but I've heard of some gifting that if they know you plan to use cloth and I'd love that lol. But washing really isn't hard. In the beginning you don't have to even spray out the dirty diapers....well not with BF poo...I'm not 100% on if you do with FF...but you will when they start solids for sure. I would just shake out the inserts or unsnap them and throw it all in the pail, then when it was time to wash throw it all in, do a cold rinse cycle, a hot wash with detergent then an extra rinse. Then 1-2 cycles on low heat in the dryer. It just became a normal part of my routine, I washed every 3 days or so...didn't add in much work at all :)

Howdy from a Port Moody neighbour! When Miss M was first born, we used Happy Nappy. In fact, we asked for it for shower gifts (people would gift us one week, or about 25 bucks). In the end, we had 12 weeks of diaper service prepaid! Yay!

Truth be told I was ready to do it myself at around 8 weeks - the stink of the diaper pail after the week, having to store 60 diapers in my small condo until I needed them - I was ready. I bought various pocket diapers (bumgenius and fuzzibunz mostly) and I put them in a mesh laundry bag in a plastic garbage pail and wash them at the end of each day (condo-sized HE washer). No rinsing - I just use the disposable liners. It is awesome! Any questions, please ask!

:)
A

I think washing your own is a good way to go, that way you don't have to have and store as many clean and dirty ones while waiting for the next delivery/collection.

It's not hard to wash them. Like Beth said you don't need to rinse them etc. You just dry pail them and put them all in the wash however often you want/need to. I wash them about every 36 hours as we only have a small nappy bucket (about 9 nappies fills it) and fairly small stash!

Howdy from a Port Moody neighbour! When Miss M was first born, we used Happy Nappy. In fact, we asked for it for shower gifts (people would gift us one week, or about 25 bucks). In the end, we had 12 weeks of diaper service prepaid! Yay!

Truth be told I was ready to do it myself at around 8 weeks - the stink of the diaper pail after the week, having to store 60 diapers in my small condo until I needed them - I was ready. I bought various pocket diapers (bumgenius and fuzzibunz mostly) and I put them in a mesh laundry bag in a plastic garbage pail and wash them at the end of each day (condo-sized HE washer). No rinsing - I just use the disposable liners. It is awesome! Any questions, please ask!

:)
A

So can you use disposable liners with all cloth diapers? If I do it myself I was thinking of going with bumgenius, flip and the funzzibunz look good. I'm guessing you just flush/throw out the liner so that most the poop mess is on that.

Do you recommend certain liners or pails? How many do you think you need to have to start off with?

Also, where did you find is a good place to buy from locally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->