Opinions on our choices

I love the character of Fabian in Twelfth Night...his existence is so pointless :haha: Nice name and at least has some meaning and history, so I like this quite a lot.

None of the others are really to my taste due to being popular or trendy-sounding. If I had to go with any of the others it'd be Cohen and Juno, but I agree about Juno not sounding very feminine...I'd pair it with a feminine or classic middle name.

The Cohen offense thing really wouldn't bother me personally, just as a non-christian Jesus or non-muslim Mohammed wouldn't have me batting an eyelid. I feel it's the people who are offended by a name who have the problem. I think it might ultimately put me off though, because as someone else said maybe the child would care when they're old enough to understand. Plus assumptions about your being Jewish might become tiresome, if they were there. Not sure on it really. The name sounds pretty good.

its literally no different to naming your child Hitler

Wow, that is incredibly offensive of you to say.

As for the Cohen debate, I imagine it honestly can't be THAT offensive considering the amount of boys named Cohen. I feel like if it was something as obvious as Hitler :)dohh:) then it wouldn't be such a trend.

Cohen Allen was going to be the name, should we have had another boy. However, we're Team :pink: so we haven't had to worry about it.

Back to the original question... I really like all your names, but the ones that go best with Quinn for me is Mila for a girl and Sawyer for a boy! However, judging from your list, I really don't think you can go wrong.

Wow, that is incredibly offensive of you to say.

As for the Cohen debate, I imagine it honestly can't be THAT offensive considering the amount of boys named Cohen. I feel like if it was something as obvious as Hitler :)dohh:) then it wouldn't be such a trend.

Cohen Allen was going to be the name, should we have had another boy. However, we're Team :pink: so we haven't had to worry about it.

Back to the original question... I really like all your names, but the ones that go best with Quinn for me is Mila for a girl and Sawyer for a boy! However, judging from your list, I really don't think you can go wrong.

but its not though that's the point...

Hitler is offensive to YOU hence your reaction but BOTH are equally as offensive to a large number of Jewish people

this just highlights that ignorance :dohh:

Is it weird that I like Wren for a girl??

I LOVE bird names, as my DF's last name means "little hawk."

Don't call me ignorant. If you can't discuss something maturely, see yourself out.

Hitler and Cohen are not equally offensive, I am sure not even for Jewish people. Until you can speak for every Jewish person, I'm confident in this.

I don't doubt that Cohen is offensive to majority of Jewish people but comparing it to Adolf Hitler? Come on.

I agree that whoever Cohen is to Jewish people, he can't be as offensive to them as someone who wiped out millions of their population. (I'll admit I could be wrong, as I don't know much about the Jewish religion.) But I don't see how anything could be as offensive as naming your child after someone responsible for genocide and mass murder.

Jesus is actually a somewhat common name in Latin American countries, and I doubt all of them who use the name are religious. I don't see why any Christian person would be offended by them having that name. :shrug:

I agree. I'm sure it IS offensive, but I doubt it is AS offensive as hitler.

:rofl: I hadn't noticed this. This is utterly ridiculous. Naming your child a religious name when you're not religious...on par with naming him after the world's most infamous and evil mass murderer...

Please :dohh: Painful to read. Please remind yourself of what Hitler was and did (Not just saying that to be narky either...you clearly must have forgotten the scale of it, which is a major issue).

I'm a Christian and I'm not offended by people named Jesus. In fact when I told people at church when I was due they joked about us using it (knowing it's not our style). I've also heard of people named Deacon... which I've never heard anyone offended by.
Personally I like Cohen and if I were to want too use it I might talk to a few Jewish friends who might be able to shed light on how taboo it really is. Is it offensive? Or just a bit odd?

Don't call me ignorant. If you can't discuss something maturely, see yourself out.

Hitler and Cohen are not equally offensive, I am sure not even for Jewish people. Until you can speak for every Jewish person, I'm confident in this.

I don't doubt that Cohen is offensive to majority of Jewish people but comparing it to Adolf Hitler? Come on.

who mentioned Adolf?

Hitler is a common historical surname just like Cohen and has been used as a first name

(and even so if you link it, it is no different from calling your child Dyer, Brady, Nelson, Harvey etc... or any other surname linked serial killer/mass murder)

once again your own assumptions offend which just goes further to prove my point

they are BOTH just surnames :dohh: but because you link one to something offensive you have this reaction... it is JUST as offensive (infact more so) as the name Hitler actually has no meaning only association where as there is a strong meaning in Cohen

Jesus is a historical name that long out dates the bible and has ALWAYS been a common first name so completely different, it was a mortal name given by a mortal mother from popular names of the time - the actual comparison would be to call your child God

You're comparing Brady and Hitler as the same???

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

:rofl:

I can't handle this - I'm out!!

JJKCB - Seriously just leave it now. I've spoken to lots of other people, and at least 4 of them are Jewish or married to a Jew. They have said you're talking bollocks and that it means "priest" and isn't offensive in the slightest. It's one of the oldest surnames or "tribe" name.
If an actual Jew says its not offensive then it's not.
(Not that this stupid debate has even put me off using it!)

And FYI, I asked for general opinions on our choices. I didn't ask you to start a ridiculous debate about comparing the name Cohen with Hitler.

Godwin's law, anyone? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

the actual comparison would be to call your child God

Sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. It's nothing like God!

As for your comments about Hitler, Brady and any other murderers you can think of...words fail me. :nope:

I do see what JJKCB is trying to say, the name could be associated to something offensive by certain people/groups in society (really bad comparisons though, I've got to say!) and if the child ever had a connection to these groups in their lifetime it might be awkward.

But if we look at it this way there are soooo many names that would never be used again. Are we really going to start saying, 'You can't call your daughter Mary because it's related to Christianity, what if she wants to convert to Hinduism when she's 35!' 'You can't use the name Chris because so-and-so's ex husband was called that and if that child ever moved in next door to her she would associate it with him!' No!

Wishing_well - If you like the name and it's not an issue to you or your family, use it for god's sake!

JJKCB - Drop it honey, you have your opinion (which personally I would actually agree with!) but you can't force others to think the way you do.

Now. I'm sure this was a name opinion thread not a religious debate...........

I definitely don't think there is anything wrong with saying, "I'm not sure if you're aware, but in this culture, this name is related to this..." because sometimes people genuinely do not know.

When you begin to compare it to something as Adolf Hitler though (and JJKCB - Adolf was Hitler's first name, which is where the Adolf part came from that you missed last time), that's when things become problematic!

All opinions have been shared though and I agree that it is time to mooooove on! :D

My cousin's boy is Cohen. It isn't to my taste but I never knew it was offensive and doubt many would, so the comparisons to Hitler are silly because everyone who's anyone knows who he is. Not remotely the same.

I like Fabian for a boy and Peyton for a girl :)

For a girl I really like Mila and Juno, Juno was on our list for a girl but dh says no :(

For a boy I like Wren, Cohen and Fabian :flower:

I think they all go with Quinn.

I like Wren for a girl :)

As I said, it hasn't put me off the name at all! :)

But back to opinions please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->