Opinions on this girl's name?

wannabemomy37

~ Waiting ~
Reaction score
I really like the name Neveyah (nuh-vey-uh) but nobody else seems to like this name because of the original Nevaeh spelling and the whole "heaven backwards" thing. I just like the way it sounds. But baby's surname would start with an N also and am toying with other options.

Aveyah (uh-vey-uh) is something I really like also but then I was thinking what about something like

Eiveyah (eye-vey-uh)?

I realize the spelling is a bit "odd". I want it to be unique but not crazy.
Open for other spelling suggestions or names that sound similar.

Forewarned - I'm a bit of a geek.

In the Elder Scrolls video game series there is an island pronounced that way, it is spelled Eyevea and is a magical sanctuary. It's a pretty sounding name when pronounced, but the spelling makes me think of eyeballs. (Not a criticism, just something to think about down the road.)

Of the spellings you have listed there, I like Aveyah best.

I think its ok. I prefer it beginning with A rather than E. If you really like Neveyah/Nevaeh, you should go for that though. It shouldn't matter what others think

If it's with an A it would be pronounced differently.

Any other opinions on pronunciation of eye-vey-uh?

Eiveya
Iveyah
Aiveya

I really like the name neveah, but in my opinion I think you'd be better off just going with the traditional spelling, because people will always secretly be thinking "she spelled it wrong". I have a friend who named her daughter Serinity and I've always thought to myself she spelled it wrong. The girl really does misspell everything though, so it wasn't on purpose.

I like the name Nevaeh, spelled the "typical" way. The cute little Nevaeh I know, also has a surname that begins with an "N". And it sounds nice together!

I have the name Avaya (pronounced the same way you intend Aveyah to be pronounced) on my list as well! I think this is gorgeous!

I like Amaya, I also know of one baby Camaya (cuh-my-uh)

Her name is Camaya Angel, it's gorgeous. xx

Otherwise, I'd go with Nevaeh. That name is derived because of it being heave backwards.. I think it's adorable, I know one, it's very sweet. I honestly feel that re spelling that would look very off on a job application when she's older.. I'm a traditional namer though, just a thought. xx

Frankly, I'd avoid Neveah or alternate spellings. After reading a bunch of articles/books on baby naming, this one has consistently been voted one of the most polarizing baby names, with an overwhelming number of people hating it and viewing it as trashy/low class (in the same league as names like Chanel or Destiny). Just google "most hated baby names" and it will top the list (ex: https://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2011/4/the-most-hated-baby-names-in-america)

While I don't personally have feelings about it as I'd never heard of it, the fact that it is so widely and strongly disliked would lead me to avoid since the kid will likely have a negative label/stereotype attached. Maybe go for one of the names you listed that has a similar sound?

I used to work with a little girl named: Aiyana (pronounced eye-on-uh) - I think this name is beautiful! Just wanted to suggest it!

I think if you like the name Nevaeh, though, you should go for it!!

I used to work with a little girl named: Aiyana (pronounced eye-on-uh) - I think this name is beautiful! Just wanted to suggest it!

Thanks that's a lovely suggestion!!
OH said he likes Aveyah also - Neveya got a "maybe" from him lol and Eiveya is a definite NO (just too out there for him)

I still really like Neveya or Neveyah spellings a lot better :shrug:

Out of ALL the baby names out there, I don't see how Nevaeh could be on the top hated names, honestly?? It's fine if you don't care for it but I see no reason to completely hate this name otherwise than preference?
There are some names out there that I would HATE rather than dislike such as "Moon Unit" (girl) or "Zowie Bowie" (boy)

Thanks that's a lovely suggestion!!
OH said he likes Aveyah also - Neveya got a "maybe" from him lol and Eiveya is a definite NO (just too out there for him)

I still really like Neveya or Neveyah spellings a lot better :shrug:

Out of ALL the baby names out there, I don't see how Nevaeh could be on the top hated names, honestly?? It's fine if you don't care for it but I see no reason to completely hate this name otherwise than preference?
There are some names out there that I would HATE rather than dislike such as "Moon Unit" (girl) or "Zowie Bowie" (boy)

Trust me, I know!! LOL My son's name is always bashed on this site!! And it's on the top of all the Most Hated lists!! I don't care - I love it! And it's an awesome name in my opinion! :happydance:

I think names that are "hated" are names that are new & trendy.... and that have rapidly climbed to the top of the baby name lists. Maybe it's a name they don't really care for and then they are shocked so many ppl love it and are using it - so then they start "hating" it. :shrug:

Totally agree. You and I seem to share a lot in common when it comes to babynames as we both seem to like the trendy somewhat out there names.
I must know - What is your son's name?

I think with Neveah, from what I've read, the reasons people dislike it is the combination of the trend factor, the made up name factor, the fact that inverted spelling is a bit highschool-ish, and that they think it sounds very ghetto/low class. People have also called it the "Tiffany" of the 2010's (ie 20 years from now people will think it was a dated lower class fad). Now, maybe that's all totally unfair and untrue. I'm just reporting what others are saying on baby name forums, books, websites, etc. BUT if that is the impression the name gives to many people, perhaps it will negatively influence perceptions of your child and their background? It's not nice or fair, but it can happen.

If you really love the name and others' opinions on it don't matter.... then go for it. I am not trying to be mean or to "bash" names just for the sake of it, it's just that if someone asks for an opinion and I happen to know from the reading I've done that it's a very controversial name, I think that info is worth passing on just so you are aware... and then you can choose whether it matters to you or not.

Thank you, I wasn't implying that you were bashing personally just find it odd that so many other people hate the name. That's fine though :) I don't think anybody would think my daughter is low-class simply based on her name alone. If they do, that's their problem ;)

PS I LOVE the name Jayden I totally wanted to name my future son that but my cousin stole it!! I wanted Jayden Thomas AKA JT!

Avayah is the best, it sounds possibly foreign or exotic and if the child herself when older is shy and doesn't want to be 'unique' and stand out she can go by Ava

I personally think badly of Nevaeh as I only know of young immature mums that use it and the meaning 'heaven backwards' is terrible... are you saying you child is 'backwards'?

it will make people have preconceptions of the child and effect her life I she doesn't live in certain areas

Eivayah - I would not of know how this was pronounced

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"