Opinions on today's not so great u/s UPDATE PG 3

Bellieboobah

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hoping some of you can help me!

I thought I was 6w 3days today by my guessed o date but at my scan it showed an empty sac measuring 6mm (5-6 weeks).

Lmp 2 oct

Only dtd once 16 Oct (cd 15)

Felt o pain cd 15 and 16

Very faint positive on frer 31st October

The earliest I can get myself today is 6 weeks if maybe I o'ed five days after dtd (so cd 20).
So maybe I'm earlier than I thought or maybe this is a blighted ovum.

What does everyone think? Please feel free to be brutally honest.

That was a private scan, I rang my Drs and the hosp want to rescan me tomorrow at 3pm I suppose to see for themselves.

Thanks in advance!

I have seen quite a few threads on here where the size of the baby just doesn't seem to add up at all, but everything turns out fine, so I hope it does for you. It makes it even more confusing when you only had sex the one time.

A MSD of 6mm puts you at about 5w1d I calculate.

I don't think there is anything much I can say to be helpful, but I'm hoping for the best at your second scan. Not every pregnancy will measure perfectly for dates, every pregnancy is different, every genetic blueprint is a new one never tried before and there are lots of factors that can change things. Perhaps you happened to ovulate right at the end of the possible window, and perhaps there was a long time between conception and implantation.

Our LMP's are on the same date but I am only 4 weeks as I ovulated very late.

I had an empty sac a few days ago waiting until next wed to go back I hope everything works our for you!

Was there a yolk sac or just completely empty? I would wait another week and rescan. If by then it's the same then it would seem like a BO. But for now I'd wait one more week xx

When I had my first scan I was 8w1d but I measured 7w5d I asked Dr.why and said it's hard to get a accurate measure this early or it could be I ovulated later then I thought. I believe it's more of not being a accurate measure because I was temping to confirm when I ovulated. I've also seen post's here that are similar to yours and in later weeks they measure right where they should be.

Thank you all for your replies.

It was completely empty, nothing in there at all.

I wonder if 24 hours will show much change when I go back tomorrow?

I tested with a clear blue digital a week ago and got the 2-3 weeks, when I tested yesterday morning it was still saying 2-3 weeks. I know they aren't super accurate but I guess it ties in with not seeing anything.

Tgrich, sorry you are going through this too, it's a horrible wait isn't it :-(

Yes I just want to know weather to be excited or to be upset and work on trying again it sucks to say but I know that's the truth of it.

The earliest I ever saw a yolk sac was 5+5 and I have heard some women not seeing anything til 7 weeks so your dates could be off and everything could be fine. Depending on the type of machine they're using I doubt you'll see a difference. I would definitely saw in a weeks time you'll have answers. I have had 2 blighted ovums and hope this isn't your case! Good luck! Xx

Winterbabies3 with your blighted ovums did you have any symptoms or hcg levels done?

At 5+1 with DS I had an 8mm sac, and it was empty, so I am not surprised that a 6mm sac would be empty. I think the only part that seems peculiar is that the sac is measuring more than a week behind. As minties mentioned, a 6mm sac is consistent with early 5th week rather than mid 6th week but as everyone has said, we've all learned through this process that our individual experiences break the rules so many times, and things end up being okay!

I know that HPTs are not quantitative, and especially past the 5 week mark they can be really confusing because of the Hook effect, but if you are closer to 5+3 (rather than 6+3) you may still be able to see progression (or at least no decrease in darkness) between two pink line tests taken 24-48 hours apart.

If you ovulated 3-4 days later than you suspected, and then you implanted closer to 9-10 DPO rather than 6 DPO, that could easily put you a week behind, making you 5+3 rather than 6+3, which would be more consistent with the sac size.

Good advice from WantsALittle1.

I forgot to mention the sac was empty with my daughter at first scan (6 weeks).

Thank you wantsalittle one, that sounds very reassuring. I guess I'm just worried as to put me behind would mean those sperms potentially could have survived 5 days after dtd, is that possible? I know they say it is I just find it hard to believe.

I just had a look at my scan report from yesterday, I'm not sure why she told me sac diameter was 6mm and she has wrote in my notes mean sac diameter is 7.3mm.

I will post an update later, my hospital appointment is 3pm.

Thank you once again for all your responses it means a lot more than you all know xxxx

What I've learned is that some babies are just slow starters at the beginning. They usually catch up within the next few weeks and are fine. Plus sometimes implantation can take longer than you expect, and the little spermies can live for a while in that environment. It's a good sign that they're seeing the sac though! I bet when you go back, you'll see more. It's amazing what can happen in the first few weeks of a pregnancy. The little beans just grow so rapidly! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

It's not uncommon especially in the beginning to be s few days behind. Likely you are just under 6 weeks and at that point it's hard to see anything on an u/s. It's been my experience in all my pregnancies that I'm always 3 days behind in my dates.
So hang in there!!

Hi everyone!

Back from the hospital. Scan went as expected didn't see anything different from yesterday.

They have took my blood to check beta levels and I'll have a second draw Sunday.

Will this first level give me any indication of this outcome at all or will I not know until we check if there is a rise at the next draw?

Hi everyone!

Back from the hospital. Scan went as expected didn't see anything different from yesterday.

They have took my blood to check beta levels and I'll have a second draw Sunday.

Will this first level give me any indication of this outcome at all or will I not know until we check if there is a rise at the next draw?

If the beta is low than it will confirm that they did U/S too soon. I believe it has to be over 2000 just to see a sac. I had an U/s at 5 weeks 4 days due to spotting and I panicked because they saw an irregular sac but not much else my HCG was 6400.

Of course I worried, I went for a follow up at 6 weeks 1 day and low and behold my gestational sac was normal with a baby with a heart beat of 108 bpm. So in a matter of 5 days a lot changes. Also my HCG was over 25000 by the second scan. So somewhere between 6000 and 25000 things changed majorly.

Hope this helps.

Bellieboobah, so the sac was still only 6mm, or had it grown a little bit since yesterday?

While the beta can tell you what stage you are at approximately, and whether you'd expect to see a sac or something more, you will need to see a second beta (or alternately, a change to the sac size) to know whether things are progressing or regressing. A single beta number isn't the most helpful thing in the world for seeing what the pregnancy is doing, only where it happens to be at that exact moment in time.

FX things are moving along but it's just too early to see changes yet!

Thank you Morgan for sharing your results, I'll be interested to see how mine compare at the next scan.

Wantsalittleone, I read my notes from yesterday and the mean sac diameter was actually 7.6mm so I'm not sure why she told me 6mm.
The consultant today said she wouldn't comment on any difference in sac today as its only one day and different operator, machines etc. I looked at her measurement though and she only took two so no mean sac calculation aghhhh.

The nurse just rang, they are happy with my level for where I'm supposed to be, it's 3,300. I suppose it's just a waiting game now for the next result!

Oh good you think so!?

My next blood will be taken at around 10am Sunday morning, so approx 68 hours later, I'm guessing they'll want to see a minimum of 7500 ish?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->